PDA

View Full Version : Little Snapper / Screenshot manager or gallery

madebyjordan
August 11th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Y'see this - http://www.realmacsoftware.com/littlesnapper/ beautiful screenshot capturing, managing and cataloging piece of software?

Is there anything similar for my beloved Ubuntu? I know Shutter provides half the functionality, but I'd like to categorise and manage screenshots and snippets too.

Many thanks,
Jordan

zekopeko
August 11th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Nothing with that level of polish and good look. The closest one I know of is Shutter (http://apt.ubuntu.com/p/shutter).

el_koraco
August 11th, 2011, 11:27 PM
scrot? :D

~!geek!~
August 11th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Not exactly what you want to accomplish, but thought to share this:
1) I use compiz screenshot plugin. You can set path to some dedicated directory where snapped images may be stored. The default way to use it : hold window/super key and select the rectangular region to snap.
2) Use alt+printscreen to get image of current active application window. Store it in another dedicated directory.

Use some sort of image managing application to manage n cataloguing stuff. gthumb is one which I use. I m sure better ones are there.

cgroza
August 12th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Seems a good project and Linux really needs it. Maybe someone will implement it. Maybe I will start working on something like that during a school break.

madebyjordan
August 12th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Seems a good project and Linux really needs it. Maybe someone will implement it. Maybe I will start working on something like that during a school break.

I would be forever in your debt if you did work on such an app :) My main use case would be - I like to gather images and screenshots that I use for inspiration in web design. Without the ability to catalog eg: navigation, search boxes, iPhone apps, UI etc, it's impossible to find what I'm looking for quickly.

scrot? :)

... you made me Google "scrot"... and I got some nasty results that I can't unsee! :D

@~!geek!~ & zekopeko - Thanks guys, I have been using Shutter and the Compiz screenshot utility, Compiz is close - just not quite as smooth and as fluid as I'd like.

Thanks!

el_koraco
August 12th, 2011, 09:18 AM
... you made me Google "scrot"... and I got some nasty results that I can't unsee! :D

lol, sorry. scrot is a command line screenshot program. You install it, then run it in the terminal, with one or more options. It's fun.

madebyjordan
August 12th, 2011, 08:13 PM
lol, sorry. scrot is a command line screenshot program. You install it, then run it in the terminal, with one or more options. It's fun.

He-he, no problem :) I'll check out scrot (the program, not the other kind).

cgroza
August 12th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I would be forever in your debt if you did work on such an app :) My main use case would be - I like to gather images and screenshots that I use for inspiration in web design. Without the ability to catalog eg: navigation, search boxes, iPhone apps, UI etc, it's impossible to find what I'm looking for quickly.

School starts soon, but if I think I can have a functioning product in 2-3 months (provided that I work on weekends and only get 1 school break.)

madebyjordan
August 12th, 2011, 08:58 PM
School starts soon, but if I think I can have a functioning product in 2-3 months (provided that I work on weekends and only get 1 school break.)

You sir are an absolute legend. Can I help in any way? All I can offer are graphic and web design skills, but they are at your disposal if you need them!

cgroza
August 12th, 2011, 09:07 PM
You sir are an absolute legend. Can I help in any way? All I can offer are graphic and web design skills, but they are at your disposal if you need them!
A GUI sketch would be great.Just to have a bettor definition of the project and your expectations.
I looked around from some libraries, and I have found some promising ones.
It seems that all I have to do is write the code for screenshot taking, tagging, searching and folder management.
I should be able to start working on it in a few weeks.

madebyjordan
August 12th, 2011, 09:35 PM
A GUI sketch would be great.Just to have a bettor definition of the project and your expectations.
I looked around from some libraries, and I have found some promising ones.
It seems that all I have to do is write the code for screenshot taking, tagging, searching and folder management.
I should be able to start working on it in a few weeks.

Awesome! I'll PM you some GUI sketches in the morning :)

Thanks for looking into this, it's much appreciated!

cgroza
August 12th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Awesome! I'll PM you some GUI sketches in the morning :)

Thanks for looking into this, it's much appreciated!
No problem. I am just doing my hobby :D.