PDA

View Full Version : How is this not an idea?

ki4jgt
August 10th, 2011, 05:23 PM
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/28113/

It clearly states what needs to be done to assist the OS.

Smilax
August 10th, 2011, 05:27 PM
it's only an idea if it goes on and on about how great unity is?

you not been listening??

;)

3Miro
August 10th, 2011, 05:28 PM
This is more of a complaint than an idea, it is not a new feature but bring back an old one. This is what many people don't like about Unity and Gnome-shell, they take away functionality that is essential to the desktop (at lest essential to many of us) and one menu will not do it, more changes are needed.

Copper Bezel
August 10th, 2011, 05:30 PM
How is this not an idea?

Because, as indicated in the message, it's an arguable Ayatana bug?

ki4jgt
August 10th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Because, as indicated in the message, it's an arguable Ayatana bug?

But it's a suggestion for the OS.

ki4jgt
August 10th, 2011, 05:44 PM
This is more of a complaint than an idea, it is not a new feature but bring back an old one. This is what many people don't like about Unity and Gnome-shell, they take away functionality that is essential to the desktop (at lest essential to many of us) and one menu will not do it, more changes are needed.

I merely added the complaint to show mindset of the user.

MG&TL
August 10th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I sympathise. If you have developing skills, sometimes it's better to fix it on your machine, then say 'hey guys, I fixed this, can you distribute it please'

On the other hand, I didn't look at the Brainstorm entry as my Internet is hideously slow at the moment. No clue why.

unknownPoster
August 10th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Read the reply that was given:

Feedback on Unity should be sent directly to the Ayatana Team, not Brainstorm.

That's not an idea at all, it's a veiled rant against Unity.

sanderd17
August 10th, 2011, 06:37 PM

Hmm, Gnome shell does accept all the old notifications. And Gnome-shell is made to be extended anyway. That's why users don't like the default bare-bones look of it.

Just add a dock, some extra buttons, a menu if you want ... There are already plenty of extensions and the number keeps growing.

3Miro
August 10th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Hmm, Gnome shell does accept all the old notifications. And Gnome-shell is made to be extended anyway. That's why users don't like the default bare-bones look of it.

Just add a dock, some extra buttons, a menu if you want ... There are already plenty of extensions and the number keeps growing.

It would take quite a few extensions to make Gnome-shell usable for me and while I am sure those can be coded, they are not there yet. Question remains why the default UI is dysfunctional, but this is a topic beaten to death on other threads.

Either way, the brainstorm entry was more of a rant than suggestion and hence it was closed.

unknownPoster
August 10th, 2011, 06:57 PM
It's also a documented fact that Canonical/Ubuntu doesn't contribute very much to upstream. The problem described is with upstream, so I doubt that if Canonical were to fix it, upstream wouldn't hear about it.

forrestcupp
August 10th, 2011, 07:19 PM
It was closed because they want you to send your "idea" to the Ayatana Team where they might be able to actually do something about it. You should stop being all defensive and just do what they told you to do.

cbowman57
August 10th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Gnome 3.0 shell.

sanderd17
August 10th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Gnome 3.0 shell.

Thanks Charles, people never believe GS is different from Unity.

cbowman57
August 10th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I know, I've seen quite a few people that have made posts thinking that they got gnome shell by default in 11.04. :)

Personally, I used Unity for quite a while but once I started using G-S I found Unity just wasn't for me. I'm sure there is a niche for it, and people will adapt but it's nice to have choices. ;)

ki4jgt
August 10th, 2011, 09:33 PM
It was closed because they want you to send your "idea" to the Ayatana Team where they might be able to actually do something about it. You should stop being all defensive and just do what they told you to do.

Sorry about the defense. I guess it was a little on that side. . . Was just wondering why it was put down as not an idea. It was an idea. I was just upset b/c I felt like it was good and that I was being tossed around from group to group to avoid my idea. It wasn't a rant as much as a question as to why/on what grounds the idea was marked as not an idea, but the thread was not a way to get something started. If I wanted to get something started, I would've jumped in one of the (many) already active threads.