PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox profile in apparmor skipped on startup

donsy
August 9th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I have quiet splash disabled so I can see what boot processes are run on startup, and I notice that on every time I boot my computer the Firefox profile is skipped. Here's the message:
Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.bin.firefox I checked /etc/apparmor.d/disable, and see that there is indeed a link to usr.bin.firefox. So I'm wondering how/why it got there. I haven't touched anything in AppArmor since my clean install of Natty. Can I or should I remove it? I'm an AppArmor noob.

FuturePilot
August 9th, 2011, 10:00 PM
It's disabled by default.

donsy
August 9th, 2011, 10:09 PM
It's disabled by default.

Not much info there. Like I said I'm an AppArmor noob. So what should I do? Enable it? How? By deleting the link in the /etc/apparmor.d/disable directory?

Dave_L
August 9th, 2011, 10:20 PM
To enable the firefox profile, delete /etc/apparmor.d/disable/usr.bin.firefox.

FuturePilot
August 10th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Not much info there. Like I said I'm an AppArmor noob. So what should I do? Enable it? How? By deleting the link in the /etc/apparmor.d/disable directory?
Do you want it enabled? It's disabled by default because it will break certain functionality of Firefox. (usually plugins)
If you want it enabled see here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AppArmor#How%20can%20I%20enable%20AppArmor%20for%2 0Firefox?

To enable the firefox profile, delete /etc/apparmor.d/disable/usr.bin.firefox.

No, that is not the correct way to do it. See the link above.

twipley
August 11th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Indeed, the correct command is:

sudo aa-enforce /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox

Then verification through
sudo apparmor_status

I believe the Firefox profile is included by default in Ubuntu releases starting from 11.10, however it comes unactivated.

Also, some people (such as bodhi.zazen) are advocating that Firefox should be protected by AppArmor by default. Such an approach might make sense. It might be wise to vote over at http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/27401 for the inclusion of such an idea to future Ubuntu releases.

Soul-Sing
August 11th, 2011, 05:46 AM
sudo aa-enforce firefox will do
reload the deamon:
sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor reload
before you can look at the status:
sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor status
afaik jamie strandboge makes default apparmor firefox profiles,which are not enabled, from the 10.4 release.

so "we" don't need standard profiles, more a gui as selinux for apparmor to guide us to individual made apparmor profiles.
( ref to the brainstorm idea)