PDA

View Full Version : Create your own DE!

darthvader39560
August 7th, 2011, 12:46 PM
To make your own DE just go to http://maketecheasier.com/easily-create-a-custom-lightweight-desktop-environment/2010/08/10 and follow the instructions there.
I take no reponsibility for the website content in the link above

My Desktop Environment: (I call Awesome Desktop Environment, or ADE for short)

darthvader39560
August 7th, 2011, 01:06 PM
if you went to this website tell me what you think of it!

Bandit
August 7th, 2011, 03:51 PM
you can take a screenshot of your desktop by just pressing the PrtScr button..

cariboo
August 7th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Set the delay to 1 -3 seconds, and gnome-screenshot won't show in your screenshots. I personally set it to 5 seconds if I need to show a menu or something else.

darthvader39560
August 7th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the advice!:DThe screenshot isn't to great I know, but have you made a DE yet?

Lucradia
August 7th, 2011, 05:10 PM
DEs? Who needs DEs?

Open the box!

Bandit
August 7th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the advice!:DThe screenshot isn't to great I know, but have you made a DE yet?

Huh? Made my Desktop Environment? I never not had one.. I can not for the life of me understand what your blog post thing is about..

Lucradia
August 7th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Huh? Made my Desktop Environment? I never not had one.. I can not for the life of me understand what your blog post thing is about..

That'ssssss a niccccccee conky you have there. It would be a sssssshame if ssssssomething were to happen to it.

http://i.imgur.com/bofJe.png

Copper Bezel
August 7th, 2011, 06:46 PM
It is a very silly article. It's describing "using a login custom session" as "making your own DE," which really implies something completely different.

I didn't find this to be worth the trouble when I've tried it in the past. Well, correction - it was worth fixing the problems I needed to fix in 10.10 and worth the learning experience, but not worth the trouble if you're happy with your environment. If you don't have a session manager, some things break. You have to hack xdg-open to make it functional, for instance, and many, many things depend on it, like opening files from browsers. But the more you mix parts from various DEs, the more little problems come up. It's already possible in Gnome to change the default window manager, file manager, wallpaper, panel, etc.; there's no need to create a separate login session to do any of those things.

Bandit
August 7th, 2011, 07:30 PM
That'ssssss a niccccccee conky you have there. It would be a sssssshame if ssssssomething were to happen to it.

Chuck Norris protects my back-ups!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-SaYHIx97AeU/Tj7ZmwW2CQI/AAAAAAAABLw/ryWbHCnCevs/Chuck-Norris-Approved.jpg

BeRoot ReBoot
August 7th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Huh. I'm using terminal login, and a custom .xinitrc to start up Awesome WM. Did I "create my own DE"? :confused:

Bandit
August 7th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Huh. I'm using terminal login, and a custom .xinitrc to start up Awesome WM. Did I "create my own DE"? :confused:

You created life my friend!!