PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow lan transfer speeds depending on which box inits transfer

Croutoncc
August 6th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I just upgraded my home network to gigabit lan.

Here is my problem which I have yet to make headway on:

Ubuntu laptop -> XP desktop file transfer is very slow only when I "send" the file to the XP desktop from the laptop side (~8 Mb/s).

If I am on my XP desktop and "grab" the file from my ubuntu laptop and bring it to the desktop the file transfer is fine (~25-27,Mb/s).

Any other file transfers are fine....its only sending files to XP desktop from Ubuntu laptop initiated from the laptop end.

Things to know:
Ubuntu 10.10
Laptop and Desktop both have gigabit cards with latest drivers.
I have tried 3 gigabit routers.....so this rules out the router.
It is not the wired infrastructure in my house. I tried by connecting Desktop -> router -> laptop with quality cat6 cables bypassing wall plugs - exact same behavior.
I have verified that both connections are indeed connected at gigiabit speeds.

I have profiled hard discs on both ends:
Desktop read - 32 mb/sec
Dekstop write - 31 mb/sec
Laptop read - 90 mb/sec
Laptop write - 89 mb/sec

All files get transfered on my network between 25-27 mb/sec consistently..except for the problem direction (laptop -> desktop) inited from laptop end when I only get about 8 mb/sec.

I broke down and got Win7 running on the laptop. Initially it behaved the same way but upon changing the following I was able to get around 18-19mb/sec....not perfect, but livable for now. In ubuntu how do I change these settings:?

flow control disable
interrupt moderation disable
ipv4 checksum ofload disable
large send offload ipv4 disable
lareg send offload v2 ipv4 disable
large sendnoffload v2 ipv6 disable
tcp/udp checksum offload ipv4 disable
tcp/udp checksum offload ipv6 disable

Maybe another reason for my problems?