PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OpenGL stutters on ASUS x53e

hobbleDHoy
August 3rd, 2011, 05:22 PM
I recently got an Asus x53e and immediately installed Ubuntu on it:) Specs are:

Intel Core i3 2310M 2.1 GHz dualcore
4gb ddr3 ram
Intel HD Graphics 3000 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0

I've been trying to run some games on it (like sauerbraten) and found that the graphics just "stops" every other second, and then starts again, like a stutter. I thought maybe the computer just wasn't good enough, but it's able to run most newer games in Windows, albeit on low settings. I also tried to write an OpenGL test program with a single rotating triangle, and the stuttering happens just as much there. Is this a known problem? I find it hard to track these sorts of errors, so if anyone knows anything about this, I'll be very grateful:)

EDIT: I have not installed any new graphics driver. WHen I search using Additional Drivers, nothing comes up.

hobbleDHoy
August 3rd, 2011, 06:44 PM
Sorry to be the first to reply here, but I added the edgers ppa and installed an intel driver from there, and it certainly fixed the gl-problem. However, now my entire ubuntu-gui is acting up every now and then, like not displaying menus and panels and stuff. Is that the price to pay for using edgers, or is there a fix anyone knows of? Sorry about the un-technical nature of this post btw, I'm not that used to doing a lot of stuff like this:)