PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Trouble With DHCP, Traceroute, And Local Windows XP PC

Craig Stcr1
August 3rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
I'm having trouble connecting to my Windows XP pc on my wired network, which is configured to use DHCP. Nslookup works fine. But if I run traceroute, giving it the IP address of my Windows XP pc, traceroute just shows asterisks, 30 lines of them, and exits. I can't telnet to it either. I can access other hosts, locally and on the internet, no problem. And from Windows 7, traceroute to the Windows XP pc works fine. It's just a problem on my workstation running Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal. My /etc/network/intefaces looks like this:

#/etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcpI'm stumped. Any ideas???

dandnsmith
August 3rd, 2011, 04:53 PM
I take it that all the PCs are connected to a router, hub or switch?

You wouldn't expect to be able to telnet to the XP PC, unless you've set up a telnet server on it.

The Win7 may get a response where the UBuntu doesn't because of (for example) firewall settings.
I'd start with simple pings (try both ways), and then go on from there.

Craig Stcr1
August 3rd, 2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks for your response. All the PCs are connected to a switch, and a Westell 2200 DSL modem/router. Regarding telnet, you're absolutely right, I don't have the telnet server running. But I should get a "connection refused" right away. Instead, it hangs and then times out. Maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned the telnet issue, because it's a distraction. I'm not really worried about getting telnet working. The fact that traceroute isn't giving a meaningful response is more the issue. I tried ping... no response.

dandnsmith
August 3rd, 2011, 07:39 PM
so, ping name , and ping IP address:
one of those should work if routing is set up and firewalls aren't obstructing. The modem/router should take care of the routing, which leaves firewalls (if all the ports etc are working).

Craig Stcr1
August 3rd, 2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks Derek. It was the firewall on the Windows XP pc. I don't know why traceroute to the Windows XP pc worked when originating from Win 7, and not from Ubuntu, but it seems the problem is solved now. And I didn't think traceroute actually needed connectivity to the target host, but just elicited information from the routers along the way. Thanks for your help!