PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I see it - now what?

freebird54
August 3rd, 2011, 05:06 AM
Perhaps one of the most foolish conceptual failures I have experienced on a computer, but this wireless stuff is something I have avoided with great success up to this time. I have been away from my systems for 3 years, and find myself needing wireless to set up in this (temporary) location.

As you can see from this:

freebird@eyrie:~$ iwlist scan
lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:23:69:83:BF:1F
ESSID:"MYKELLE-HP_Network"
Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
Mode:Managed
Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
Quality:20/100 Signal level:-83 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
Extra:bcn_int=100
Extra:atim=0
IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
Group Cipher : CCMP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
Cell 02 - Address: 1C:7E:E5:2E:A1:46
ESSID:"Prince-Smokey-net"
Frequency:2.432 GHz (Channel 5)
Quality:79/100 Signal level:-45 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
Group Cipher : CCMP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
Cell 03 - Address: 00:26:5A:CA:EE:D1
ESSID:"CLAPTOP"
Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
Quality:21/100 Signal level:-82 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (2) : CCMP TKIP

I have figured out how to get ndiswrapper going, located and successfully installed a Win2K driver for my USB wireless access, and found several networks to hook up to *number 2 is the intended target). What I have YET to figure out is what next - how do I make it actually connect/work? Chasing answers has been frustrating because I have to switch keyboards between 2 machines everytime I need to get info - so any pointers will be appreciated! What did I miss???

Thanks in advance.

bkratz
August 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=freebird54;11113268

I have figured out how to get ndiswrapper going, located and successfully installed a Win2K driver for my USB wireless access, and found several networks to hook up to *number 2 is the intended target). What I have YET to figure out is what next - how do I make it actually connect/work? Chasing answers has been frustrating because I have to switch keyboards between 2 machines everytime I need to get info - so any pointers will be appreciated! What did I miss???

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

You have done the hard part well. Just go to the network icon (in 10.04) right click on it and finish setting up the ssid and password. You should be go to go!

freebird54
August 4th, 2011, 03:28 AM
I have been away too long. I just upgraded to 10.04 from 8.04, and a few things broke along the way (like Evolution!) - but I am not familiar with a net work icon - nor can I see one on my system now. There is a network connection device that can be put on the top panel - but if that is it it isn't apparently a solution. It does not acknowledge the existence of wlan0, as everything else seems to.

freebird@eyrie:~$ lshw -C network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 19
bus info: pci@0000:00:19.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:19:d1:a2:10:2b
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=e1000e driverversion=1.0.2-k2 firmware=1.3-0 ip=192.168.0.102 latency=0 multicast=yes
resources: irq:29 memory:e0380000-e039ffff memory:e03a4000-e03a4fff ioport:20e0(size=32)
*-network
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 2
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:02:72:8e:33:6b
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+net8192su driverversion=1.55+Realtek Semiconductor Corp. multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

Any further ideas as to what - probably n00b - thing I have left out or not found? suggestions as to other commands to lead me on the right trail? As was commented, the part that was SUPPOSED to be difficult went OK - perhaps just a pointer to a (reasonably current) how-to would highlight my missing steps..

Thanks again

freebird54
August 4th, 2011, 03:58 AM
I think this may come down to how much got 'lost' in upgrading from 8.04 to 10.04. I have now identified other missing items - such as System/Administration/Networking - access to my VFAT drives - access to my NTFS drives - Evolution - Opera.... to me this means either I find and rebuild a menu.lst with some of the alternatives that should be here, OR I install an ISO of 11.04 and get all the new stuff at once (then set things up - if I remember how!).

I'll be back with an answer if this effort succeeds..

Thanks!

bkratz
August 4th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Just try right clicking on your upper panel and select add to panel and select notification area. That is probably what you are missing.

freebird54
August 5th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Well - you helpers certainly zeroed in on the problem - now if only that Network item had EXISTED on my system!! The whole episode shows that while some of my thinking is OK, laziness will get you every time!

1. Good Thought - upgrade and maybe it'll work out of the box

2. Bad thought - upgrades usually work, so I won't ensure everything is safely stored before I start (I run a system with / and /home on separate partitions, with other data partitions too, so it wasn't totally stupid - just lazy!)

3. Good thought - it didn't work, nothing I could see helped, so assume (!) that it'll be an ndiswrapper case.

4, Bad thought - Don't need to spend an hour on research, just dive in. Seemed to work - got it going with ndiswrapper, no conflicts, no foolishness - but also - no results!

5. Bad thought - maybe installing 11.04 will do the job!

6. Good thought - specify own partitioning, and reformat all the stuff that wasn't working right off the computer.

Finally - good result - Fresh new 11.04 install with Unity, wireless working without problems (AND without ndiswrapper!) and all I have to do is customize everything again, while adding in all my 'extra' programs. Maybe I should have STARTED there - based on the FIRST good thought...

Anyway, thanks to all who pointed out what SHOULD have worked - I couldn't tell what was missing because of 3 years in a Windows wasteland away from my own systems! Everything looks good now - at least until I start customizing!

bkratz
August 5th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Glad to see you finally got it working ( I think!!??).

freebird54
August 5th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Too wordy? :) Yes, everything is seemingly functional except my desktop (compiz) effects and Wanda the Fish. Now I have to wander the forums and see what's worth adding, as well as rebuilding the environment I used 'til mid 2008.

Thanks for your input - it helped steer me to the real problems - and allow me to give a shout out for the developers, who have made even MORE giant strides in usability with this latest release. Easier than Win 7 from what I can see so far,,,

Thanks