PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Suddenly cannot reach internet

Odyssey1942
August 3rd, 2011, 01:45 AM
I used my computer this morning before leaving for the office, but when I returned this evening, I am unable to reach the internet. Also the light on the mobo where the ethernet cable is plugged in is steady yellow.

My limited experience would tell me it is a hardware failure, but it seems so strange with nothing happening during the day. How might I best diagnose the problem from within Ubuntu (10.04)?

Wild Man
August 3rd, 2011, 01:55 AM
Hi, with your light being yellow it looks like a hardware failure, or maybe it got turned of in the bios.

When your computer starts look at the screen and it will tell you which button to hit to enter setup, and then look for your lan and make sure it is set to on.

I am not an expert on network issues so someone might have a better idea.

Odyssey1942
August 3rd, 2011, 02:13 AM
In BIOS, the 'Onboard Devices Configuration' screen shows:

Onboard LAN [Enabled], and
Onboard LAN Boot ROM [Disabled]

Is that normal, or should the latter be Enabled?

Thanks

Odyssey1942
August 3rd, 2011, 01:08 PM
When I got up this morning, decided to swap the computer end of my ethernet cable to a known "internet good" computer when I tried pinging the router and got a reply.

Had restarted the computer twice yesterday and the second time had not restarted my browser, so when the ping worked this morning, I opened the browser and lo, it reached the internet. Very strange. I expect that I now have an intermittent problem, but hopefully that will be a one-time event.

Expect me back, but in the meantime, thanks for all the great help!

dandnsmith
August 3rd, 2011, 05:19 PM
In BIOS, the 'Onboard Devices Configuration' screen shows:
Onboard LAN Boot ROM [Disabled]
Is that normal, or should the latter be Enabled?

That setting is quite normal - only on if you want to boot from a boot-server machine

That intermittent connection sounds like:
either imminent failure of port
or connection problem - cable and port not mating securely.