PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VAIO E series overheat & Loud Fan on ubuntu 11.04

deepakdtg
August 2nd, 2011, 08:34 AM
I use a VAIO E series laptop ( VPCEB24EN) dual booting ubuntu 11.04 and windows 7 64bit. Windows runs fine but the minute I boot into ubuntu the laptop gets heated up and the fan starts spinning at full speed. There are quite a few threads but none with the solution to it. Is there any solution or work around to this??

VPCEB24EN
ATI 5145 (4500 series)
Intel Core i3 2.27 Ghz

Spyros_Gre
August 16th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Hello! I have a vaio vpcf11s1e (i7, gt330) and I am too facing overheating problems with ubuntu 11.04.
In windows 7 it is fine.
I hope they do something...

Toz
August 17th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Three suggestions:

1. Make sure you are using the proprietary video drivers. They are generally better at managing heat.

2. You could also try booting with the acpi_osi="Linux" kernel parameter (see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Editing the GRUB 2 Menu During Boot for instructions on how to temporarily test it. Haven't had much success with this one lately though.

3. You could change the cpu governor. To see what cpu frequencies your laptop supports, open a terminal window and type in the following:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
And to see what governors your laptop supports, type in the following:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors

Here is a brief description of what the governors mean:

ondemand - when the demand on the cpu increases, ubuntu changes the cpu frequency immediately to its highest supported level and remains there will the demand exists. When the demand ends, it drops to its lowest level. This is the ubuntu default.

conservative - this is like ondemand, except that it slowly increases and decreases through the available frequencies as demand requires.

performance - this runs the cpu at the highest frequency all of the time

powersave - this runs the cpu at the lowest frequency all of the time

userspace - this allows another program to manage cpu frequencies

Like I said, ondemand is the ubuntu default. You could try the other governors to see if it makes a difference.

To change the governor, edit the ondemand init file:

gksudo gedit /etc/init.d/ondemand
...and replace the line:

echo -n ondemand > $CPUFREQ
...with the governor you want to use. (e.g.):

echo -n conservative > $CPUFREQ

Then restart.

You might want to give conservative and powersave a shot.

drunkeneye
August 27th, 2011, 11:40 PM
anyone has a solution? it affects me too, and changing the governors did not help. the laptop eats around 15-20w more in ubuntu than in windows! :(

Toz
August 28th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Have a look at http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_mobile_uffda&num=1. There are a number of other threads on this forum about this power regression.