PDA

View Full Version : Help with Wine

mikro 402
July 31st, 2011, 05:34 AM
I am able to run the Win7 program with wine. When I make changes to the data and save the changes, the changes don't show up when I run the program from Win 7.

Maybe I dont understand how Wine works...Is it saving the Wine changes to a different area on the drive?

Thanks,

Mikro

Perfect Storm
July 31st, 2011, 05:38 AM
Moved to Wine forum.

stephenhau
July 31st, 2011, 01:42 PM
I am able to run the Win7 program with wine. When I make changes to the data and save the changes, the changes don't show up when I run the program from Win 7.

Maybe I dont understand how Wine works...Is it saving the Wine changes to a different area on the drive?

Thanks,

Mikro

Are you dual booting Ubuntu and Win7?
If so, the program in Wine is installed completely separately from the program in Win7. IF the program uses a config or prefs file to store its settings, you should be able to use symlinks to point to the same file. If the program stores its settings in the registry, you're probably out of luck.
That said, I'm quite new to Ubuntu/Wine, so someone with more experience may want to speak up!
It would help if you told us what the Win7 program is.

mikro 402
July 31st, 2011, 08:56 PM
Yes I am dual booting Win 7.
This is the program :http://joejaworski.com/aqualog/

brian70809
July 31st, 2011, 11:13 PM
wine has a .wine directory in your home directory.. hit Ctrl-H if you don't see it.. it's a hidden folder..

inside that folder is a drive_c.. this is what your wine/win7 program is storing information unless you point it to your windows7 drive or partition.

mikro 402
August 1st, 2011, 02:53 AM
wine has a .wine directory in your home directory.. hit Ctrl-H if you don't see it.. it's a hidden folder..

inside that folder is a drive_c.. this is what your wine/win7 program is storing information unless you point it to your windows7 drive or partition.

So how do I point wine to my win7 c drive? I looked at the Configure Wine but didn't really see anything

stephenhau
August 2nd, 2011, 10:54 AM
So how do I point wine to my win7 c drive? I looked at the Configure Wine but didn't really see anything

Here's a good explanation (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2000880&postcount=2).
If you want your program's config and data to stay on the Win7 drive:
Using Ubuntu, browse to where the program stores its config and data files. That's usually within the program folder, or in users/(your username)/Application Data/(program name)/…
Identify the config or data files, then right click and choose Make Link.
Move that link to the equivalent place in Wine, usually /home/(your username)/.wine/drive_c/users/(your username)/Appplication Data/(program name)/

You might have to use your brains to locate where the program stores its config and data, but the principle is the same: create a symlink to make Wine read/write a file that's actually somewhere else.