PDA

View Full Version : Can't find my compiled library in same directory?

AlexRamallo
July 30th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I compiled a simple shared library for my program using g++. Its named "libFunctionLib.so" and it is in the same directory as the program.

I compiled the program(the one that uses it) using this command:

g++ main.cpp -o out -L. -lFunctionsLib

and that produced the program 'out' in the same directory as the libFunctionLib.so file. The problem is that when I try to run 'out' with the command

./out
I get this error:

./out: error while loading shared libraries: libFunctionsLib.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
(and that file definitely exists and it is in the same directory as the binary)
It seems like its only searching in the /usr/lib directory and not the local working directory. Is there a way get around this so that it searches for libraries in the working directory as well rather than just the systems /usr/lib directory?

karlson
July 30th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I compiled a simple shared library for my program using g++. Its named "libFunctionLib.so" and it is in the same directory as the program.

I compiled the program(the one that uses it) using this command:

g++ main.cpp -o out -L. -lFunctionsLib

and that produced the program 'out' in the same directory as the libFunctionLib.so file. The problem is that when I try to run 'out' with the command

./out
I get this error:

(and that file definitely exists and it is in the same directory as the binary)
It seems like its only searching in the /usr/lib directory and not the local working directory. Is there a way get around this so that it searches for libraries in the working directory as well rather than just the systems /usr/lib directory?

Have you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the directory where the library is? You also may want to check
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/ldconfig.8.html

ziekfiguur
July 30th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Make sure the library file is set as executable.

AlexRamallo
July 30th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Have you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the directory where the library is? You also may want to check
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/ldconfig.8.html
Thanks I got it to work

Make sure the library file is set as executable.
I think g++ does that automatically, because it was already marked as executable