PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to mount a CD?

SevenHundred
July 30th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Using Ubuntu 11.04 on an old Dell Dimension 2400. I am extremely new to all this and am kind of stepping into things blindly, so no one should probably assume that I know anything already. It started because I wanted to install Warcraft 3, but I couldn't even mount the disc, which meant I had to search for that, which meant I had to search how to log into root user account...bottom line, I figured out I can use su -c to do a root user command, but none of the commands I found for mounting the CD work. Can anyone help?

Smaug95swe
July 30th, 2011, 01:28 AM
First of all great that u have switched to ubuntu :D or atleast are trying it out... Cant you find it the cd/ cd player on your "computer folder" Press places > Computer

Sorry if you are using Unity (the way ubuntu 11,04 orginally look because i dont know how to fix... you can always switch to gnome... for a minute and try) I prefer Gnome tbh... if you want to try it out just follow this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTtn4PPT1e8 cant really help so much if you are using unity

SevenHundred
July 30th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Actually, my computer couldn't do Unity so I'm using classic. I'm not sure if that's gnome or not.

I tried to go to the disc in places but it won't let me click it from the drop down menu and when I go to places > computer and then double click on the disc it gives me this error message:

Unable to mount location
Internal error: No mount object for mounted volume

CatKiller
July 30th, 2011, 09:14 AM
how to log into root user account.

You really really don't want to do that. Ever.

Paqman
July 30th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I tried to go to the disc in places but it won't let me click it from the drop down menu and when I go to places > computer and then double click on the disc it gives me this error message:

Unable to mount location
Internal error: No mount object for mounted volume

Is it just that one disk, or every disk you try? Normally CDs mount automatically a few seconds after you insert them.

SevenHundred
July 30th, 2011, 05:35 PM
You really really don't want to do that. Ever.

I know, I meant using root commands to be able to do stuff that you can't do normally. Like mounting a CD that's being weird.

I don't know yet if other CDs do the same thing. I'll try a couple.

SevenHundred
July 30th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Okay, Starcraft I mounted (and installed but I can't play it, but that seems to be the same for everyone). An audio CD mounted. Even the Warcraft 3 expansion mounted. Just not the original. That's kind of weird. Does that mean there's something wrong with the disc?

Paqman
July 30th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Does that mean there's something wrong with the disc?

Yep. You could try giving it a clean. Gently wipe radially in straight lines with a lint free cloth.

SevenHundred
July 30th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Yes! It mounted! Thanks guys, turns out the disc just needed a good clean.

CatKiller
July 30th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Okay, Starcraft I mounted (and installed but I can't play it, but that seems to be the same for everyone).

Starcraft worked for me last time I tried it.