PDA

View Full Version : Boot Frozen by Neverwinter Nights 2

Swordspirit2
July 28th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Ok... I was thinking about posting this earlier but I'd only swear / curse cause I was veery stressed out.
So I took a breather.

First time this problem happened:
1 - Installed the latest Nvidia drivers
2 - Installed Wine
3 - Installed Neverwinter Nights 2
4 - Game didn't run (the don't recognize video card and you have crap memory thing)
5- Googled for help (people told me "install vcruns / roll some obscure mojo in the regedit" e.@)
6 - Game didn't run again and next time I rebooted it froze me on the "Ubuntu 5 dots loading screen"
7 - Booted from live CD and tried to fix whatever I could find in vain.
8 - Lost all my books and erased the os to reinstall from the CD

Second time this problem happened:
1 - Installed the latest Nvidia drivers
2 - Installed Wine
3 - Read carefully what the Wine App Db's recommendations are to run the game
4 - Installed Neverwinter Nights 2
5 - Used Winetricks to install directx9 and vcrun2005 and ran regedit to do the following (AS IT IS WRITEN ON THE WINE APP DB):
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
OffscreenRenderingMode = fbo
UseGLSL = enabled
VideoMemorySize = 512
6 - The game ran perfectly and I was happy (not for long lol)
7 - Got tired of playing and went to sleep. This morning I turn on the computer...
All that to get this FAT UBUNTU **** up my *** all over again :evil::evil::evil::-?:-?:-?](*,). FROZEN on "Ubuntu 5 colored dots loading screen"

Now I am running stuff from the live CD again trying to get help.

So... Guys, whatever you say, don't tell me to fast press ctrl alt Fx before something happens cause I've tried that a zillion times in various timings, diff rhythms and diff dancing styles and it just doens't work. I get jumped from the terminal up to the frozen screen again.

I need to fix whatever I need to fix from the live CD
My video card = Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS

PLEASE SOMEONE SAVE MY COMPUTER!
*Tired of searching for answers by myself for 3 days -- helplessly presses F5*
*Eats rice and fish*
*Plays zombie assault 3*
*Presses F5 lol*
*Starts losing hope* :|
*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZ*

Elfy
July 28th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Thread moved to Wine.

Erufailon
August 29th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I think it has something to do with your computer cause I installed NeverWinter 2 some days ago and it still works very good, the game and the pc.

cwwilson721
August 29th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Your issue is NOT wine/NWN2, because that isn't running during boot. Since wine doesn't run until you actually invoke it after login, it cannot be that.

So that narrows it down to the video drivers.

How did you install them? From Nvidia.com? Or the Additional Drivers dialog (System > Administration > Additional Drivers)?

Is your system totally up to date? (System > Administration > Update Manager)