PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Suspend+Hibernate not working on U50

redFlameStar
July 27th, 2011, 08:30 PM
hi guys,
I install Ubuntu 11.04 on my ASUS U50 was :D that ubuntu liked my laptop until I close the lip. Either Suspend nor Hibernate works; screen goes black, fan keeps spinning, and power light stay on. I move around a lot so it's a really big pain in the side. I'm to the point of going back to Win7 fully. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Toz
July 27th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Lets go for the possible easy fix first. Have a look at the solution posted at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9180298&postcount=7

Reference link: http://robbyx.net/blog/?p=190

redFlameStar
July 27th, 2011, 10:51 PM
i kinda do and don;t understand, Seems like a work around not a fix.

Toz
July 28th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Yes, it is a workaround. There is a bug in the current kernel versions where usb3 ports prevent suspend functionality - here is one such bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/522998 (see post #61) - there are others if you search for them. I've used this fix a number of times to fix suspend issues. The workaround in the above link is actually easier to implement - you should give it a try to see if it works. If it doesn't, you can just delete the file and try something else.

Here is how to implement the workaround.

1. Open a terminal window and type in the following:

sudo gedit /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-xhci_hcd (type in your password when prompted to be granted permissions to create the file)

2. Copy/paste the following into the gedit window:

#!/bin/sh
# File: "/etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-xhci_hcd".
TMPLIST=/tmp/xhci-dev-list

case "${1}" in
hibernate|suspend)
echo -n '' > $TMPLIST
for i in `ls /sys/bus/pci/drivers/xhci_hcd/ | egrep '[0-9a-z]+\:[0-9a-z]+\:.*$'`; do
# Unbind xhci_hcd for first device XXXX:XX:XX.X:
echo -n "$i" | tee /sys/bus/pci/drivers/xhci_hcd/unbind
echo "$i" >> $TMPLIST
done
;;
resume|thaw)
for i in `cat $TMPLIST`; do
# Bind xhci_hcd for first device XXXX:XX:XX.X:
echo -n "$i" | tee /sys/bus/pci/drivers/xhci_hcd/bind
done
rm $TMPLIST
;;
esac

3. Save and exit the file.

4. We need to make the file executable. To do so, type the following in the terminal window:

sudo chmod 755 /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-xhci_hcd

5. Now try to suspend.

What this file does is it unbinds the usb3 drivers from the kernel prior to suspend and reattaches them during resume.

redFlameStar
July 28th, 2011, 03:36 PM
My laptop doesn't have a USB3 port, but i tried the fix anyway and didn't work. Have any other ideas??

Toz
July 29th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Ok. Lets try some kernel parameters. See this link for instructions on setting kernel parameters (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Editing the GRUB 2 Menu During Boot).

Try these kernel parameters:
- acpi_osi=Linux
- acpi_osi=\"Linux\"

Also, attempt a suspend and after reboot to recover system, post back the contents of the following files:
- /var/log/pm-suspend.log
- /var/log/kern.log
- /var/log/kern.log.1

and the results of the following commands:

lsmod
ls /sys/bus/pci/drivers/xhci_hcd/

OpenSage
September 21st, 2011, 08:15 PM
hi guys,
I install Ubuntu 11.04 on my ASUS U50 was :D that ubuntu liked my laptop until I close the lip. Either Suspend nor Hibernate works; screen goes black, fan keeps spinning, and power light stay on. I move around a lot so it's a really big pain in the side. I'm to the point of going back to Win7 fully. Any help would be great.
Thanks

I know this is a really late reply, but I think I have this issue figured out. I have had the same problem running both Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit and Ultimate Edition 9/on Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit. I came across this fix by accident. Before suspending the machine, go to a different console by pressing (CTRL+ALT+F2) all at the same time. You should be in a new console. Log into that console then press (CTRL+ALT+F7) to take you back to your Graphical User Interface and then Suspend you machine. This works for me every time (although I never hibernate, so don't know if it will fix that). Hope this helps some people.\\:D/