PDA

View Full Version : What IDE should I use?

Arukas
July 27th, 2011, 04:41 AM
I've asked this question before, but I have a new take on it. I want to write some games using C++. One of the libraries I'm trying to learn is Allegro, there are other libraries I want to play with also, but Allegro is what my main focus at the moment.

I've already tried several IDEs, My main problems is they weren't easy to use and all the documentation was to much tech talk. Its not that I can't understand the tech talk, but getting people to actually explain details is hard.

So any good suggestion for something that easy to use and can work with easily with other libraries, and has understandable documentation? I'm using normal Ubuntu but I can switch to Kubuntu if needed. I doubt that will make a difference but I'm looking for convince also.

-Thanks

karlson
July 27th, 2011, 04:49 AM
I've asked this question before, but I have a new take on it. I want to write some games using C++. One of the libraries I'm trying to learn is Allegro, there are other libraries I want to play with also, but Allegro is what my main focus at the moment.

I've already tried several IDEs, My main problems is they weren't easy to use and all the documentation was to much tech talk. Its not that I can't understand the tech talk, but getting people to actually explain details is hard.

So any good suggestion for something that easy to use and can work with easily with other libraries, and has understandable documentation? I'm using normal Ubuntu but I can switch to Kubuntu if needed. I doubt that will make a difference but I'm looking for convince also.

-Thanks

First off

Let's start with basics

1. Which IDEs you have used?
2. What are you looking for IDE to provide you that the existing IDEs didn't?

Arukas
July 27th, 2011, 05:01 AM
First off

Let's start with basics

1. Which IDEs you have used?
2. What are you looking for IDE to provide you that the existing IDEs didn't?

1)
Kdevlope, Anjunta, Gean, Code::Blocks, Emacs are the ones, I remember off the top of my head. I sure I tried some others, I tried a bunch a while back.

2)
Well, most of the IDEs espically Kdevlope, I couldn't figure out how to even write a C/C++ program let alone compile a simple "Hello!" program. Lots of the documentation/tutorials I looked at expected you to know what is going on already.

So something, that I can write code in and compile everything from inside the IDE without manually using the compiler in the terminal window.

Also, at some point in the future, I'd like to start working on programs that has a GUI interface instead of a terminal interface, so something with that has a nice GUI resource plug-in would be nice.

era86
July 27th, 2011, 05:33 AM
For my C/C++ I use Anjuta.

For most IDEs, getting a simple program to run sometimes requires a little understanding of how it gets compiled. I had to read up a bit on automake before I could understand what Anjuta was automating for me with its projects.

In short, I recommend Anjuta for C/C++. Or vim if you're a badass.

Arukas
July 27th, 2011, 05:52 AM
I liked Anjuta there was some things I couldn't get to work. And yes I remember using vim, but not liking it for some reason.

myrtle1908
July 27th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Eclipse + CDT. The Allegro wiki even tells you how to set it up for Eclipse on Ubuntu ... http://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Eclipse

resander
July 30th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I have only used one IDE on Linux, code::blocks and I like it. It can handle C/C++ and a few more and it is easy to add shared object libraries. It is also available for Windows.

stchman
July 30th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I use Netbeans for the following languages:

Java
C/C++
Python

Netbeans also does PHP and Ruby as well.

DangerOnTheRanger
July 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I use Netbeans for the following languages:

Java
C/C++
Python

Netbeans also does PHP and Ruby as well.

+1. I use NetBeans for Python and C/C++, and I've used it for Java in the past.