PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] making rhythmbox artists into folders

djyoung4
July 27th, 2011, 02:22 AM
So I am trying to organize all of my music into folders with the artist and then the album and then the song in the respective album. The problem is that I am manually going through and creating folders for all the artists and it is taking quite a bit of time. I was wondering if there was a way to automate the process and save some time for myself. Any help is greatly appreciated.

CatKiller
July 27th, 2011, 04:19 AM
EasyTag's Scanner function can do this based on the tags of the files.

djyoung4
July 27th, 2011, 04:26 AM
EasyTag's Scanner function can do this based on the tags of the files.
Well if I am just changing the artists info in rhythmbox does that tag the file?

CatKiller
July 27th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Well if I am just changing the artists info in rhythmbox does that tag the file?
I don't know (I don't use Rhythmbox). In a sane world it would, and I know Amarok updates the tags when you change the info.

EasyTag will show you the tags as well as let you edit them and do things based on them, so you don't need to run the scanner before you know it will work.

djyoung4
July 29th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Ok so i figured out how to change the filename to the title using puddletag but I would like to be able to automate the process of creating folders of all the artists names. I have over 1000 artists and it would be extremely time consuming. Any help is greatly appreciated

CatKiller
July 29th, 2011, 08:30 AM
:confused:

EasyTag is automated. You set the scanner going and it does it.

djyoung4
July 29th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I tried that and got no success. Is there a good tutorial somewhere that you know of

CatKiller
July 29th, 2011, 06:57 PM
No, but the documentation is here (http://easytag.sourceforge.net/EasyTAG_Documentation.html#ch_1_3_2). There are new options since the last time I did it, to fill in tags based on CDDB entries, and I haven't seen how reliable or otherwise that is.

Basically, you select the files you want to rename, select Scanner -> Rename File(s) and Directory... from the menu, choose the pattern that you want to use to rename the files to and hit the green "scan selected files" button.

Based on your description, you might want something like
%a/%b/%a - %n You can see which variable does what by hitting the Show Legend button, and there's more information in the documentation. It'll show you a rendition of what the pattern looks like applied to the first file you've selected before you start.

It's not brilliantly discoverable, but it is the best tool for the job I've found so far.

djyoung4
July 29th, 2011, 08:15 PM
ok thanks catkiller. I think I have it figured out

CatKiller
July 29th, 2011, 08:20 PM
No worries. Don't forget to mark the thread as Solved to help the people that come after us.