PDA

View Full Version : [other] CD hardware dd?

fela
July 27th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Hi

How can I dump the contents of an encrypted CD so that I have an .iso file with each bit mapping to the pits on the CD? I tried dd and the encryption broke, so it obviously didn't do a pit-for-pit copy.

Thanks

psusi
July 27th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Do you mean an encrypted dvd? Because CDs don't support hardware encryption.

doas777
July 27th, 2011, 01:08 AM
there are a number of tricks that cd distributors can use to make disks hard to rip, including throwing errors (that the decoder is supposed to know to ignore), skipping blocks, etc.

HermanAB
July 27th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Use dd, ddrecover, cat or k3b:
# dd if=/dev/cdrom of=filename.iso
# cat /dev/cdrom > filename.iso

fela
July 27th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Hi

Well it's a Seaclear charts CD, don't know if that rings any bells.

I tried
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=file.iso, but upon mounting that using Virtual Clonedrive under windows it threw an error saying 'encrypted CD/DVD not found'.

You're right, it is a DVD not a CD :P

I wonder if using cat instead of dd would have a different effect - I'll try that next ;)

psusi
July 27th, 2011, 11:54 PM
If the DVD is encrypted, then dd should fail with with a bunch of errors, but this is usually only the case on videos. Copy protection BS is another matter entirely where they intentionally insert errors into the disk that are automatically corrected when read with dd.

The best thing to do is refuse to pay for such crippleware.

fela
July 28th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Hmm, well the thing is I didn't pay for it - it was supposed to be a favour for someone, as their computer doesn't have a CD drive. However it's looking like they made it pretty impossible to copy :(

psusi
July 28th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Can this "virtual clonedrive" mount a cue+raw image? If so then using cdrdao to rip it that way might help. Some copy protection schemes embed data in the subchannels that you can only get in raw mode, but that doesn't give you an iso.

fela
August 1st, 2011, 02:06 AM
I'm not sure, but I've since given up on trying to crack it as I'm pretty sure the validation has something to do with the hardware ID of the CD (or something along those lines). :(