PDA

View Full Version : Extracting GPS data from a bluetooth device

kocikocev
July 26th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Hi , I am a newbie in both Linux and programming , I picked java as my first language which I hope not to regret later but time will show. So I have a gps receiver (unknown brand :D from Hong Kong sweet deal although) and I couldn't find a nice program to link it with Google Earth and use it as navigation for my car . And I thought why not employ it my java studies !!! I want to ask you , how can i catch the data and for the moment use it just to write it nicely in a .txt or .dat file so I can later access it and work on it ... I want to learn to use textual and numeric data (read it , write it , make computation and graphics with it) . I am open to any readings that you might suggest. I am currently finishing Teach yourself Java 6 in 21 days and I am doing some readings on programming paradigms on the net , hopefully I catch up quickly.

mikejonesey
July 26th, 2011, 10:22 PM
open a comm port and write to file, this is different on different operating systems coding nativley, however as your using java it's a whole lot simpler (well than on windows anyway...), linux is dead simple to read from comm ports as it's just like reading from a file... in java you would use the class javax.comm... to read and write to... will find a link.... http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Serial_Programming/Serial_Java, I hope you like find it easy enough... and I hope you liked my rather large paragraph...... lol

kocikocev
July 26th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Thank you I will read it and if anything is unclear I will ask :)