PDA

View Full Version : Steam and Team Fortress2 Issues

pacman43
July 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM
O.K so 1st of all I installed Steam via Wine with no problems at all. I then installed Team fortress 2 through steam with no problems also.
When I go to play TF2 it loads up fine, I can browse servers etc.
Heres where the problems start:
Whenever I try to join a server it starts loading, says "Retrieving server information", keeps loading, then it says "Sending client information" and just hangs there. It doesnt load anymore at all and I have to hit Cancel. In fact sometimes my entire P.C will freeze up at this point.

jakejw93
July 26th, 2011, 05:53 PM
O.K so 1st of all I installed Steam via Wine with no problems at all. I then installed Team fortress 2 through steam with no problems also.
When I go to play TF2 it loads up fine, I can browse servers etc.
Heres where the problems start:
Whenever I try to join a server it starts loading, says "Retrieving server information", keeps loading, then it says "Sending client information" and just hangs there. It doesnt load anymore at all and I have to hit Cancel. In fact sometimes my entire P.C will freeze up at this point.

Thats pretty strange, I was only playing it the other day ( runs great for me

What's the longest you waited to see if it would load or not? Since they can take a long time sometimes...

Apelsin
July 27th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Steam won't even start up for me =( it gets an error while starting up and installing updates. I just decided to put gaming on hold until I get a new machine..

jakejw93
July 27th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Steam won't even start up for me =( it gets an error while starting up and installing updates. I just decided to put gaming on hold until I get a new machine..

Try installing with the playonlinux prefix, i run it fine through that! :)

strumpf98
August 2nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
Try installing with the playonlinux prefix, i run it fine through that! :)
I am a newbie to linux well mostly the terminal and i know how to install wine and since i read this thread i woud like you to help me since i don't know how to install playonlinux prefixes and i need to know do i need playonlinux installed to install prefixes

jakejw93
August 4th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I am a newbie to linux well mostly the terminal and i know how to install wine and since i read this thread i woud like you to help me since i don't know how to install playonlinux prefixes and i need to know do i need playonlinux installed to install prefixes

Playonlinux is just an application, just search for it within ubuntu software centre or download it from : Playonlinux site (http://www.playonlinux.com/en/)

When its installed you run it to find a simple gui! Click install and find the stuff you need to install, in this case steam