PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Grub Rescue

ninjaschwa
July 25th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Hello,

I will start by saying I have searched and searched for solutions to my problem but I cannot find much that is close enough to my particular conundrum (nothing that works at least).

The laptop I'm trying to sort (for a friend) is an Acer Aspire 5100 which I did have dual booting Windows XP and Ubuntu 11.04, however, they did not play nice together so I got rid of the Ubuntu partition.

Rather foolishly I simply wiped the Ubuntu partition in Windows and reset, so now Grub won't work and I am simply dumped to:

grub rescue>

Now, I know there is a working version of XP on there in its' own partition but I cannot boot it to fix the MBR, I also cannot use a LiveCD because everyone I try I get a kernel panic:

cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(8,1)

and

unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)

I have tried appending a correct "root=" tag in the boot line, but I get the same message for each except "(null)" is replaced with the relevant tag.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance!

Josh

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I cannot access the recovery partition with alt+F8 as I should be able to, otherwise I would have tried to recover from there, since I do have a recovery partition I do not have a Recovery CD, figures eh? :)

YannBuntu
July 25th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Hi
Did you try booting on a Ubuntu live-USB ?

ninjaschwa
July 25th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I have done so as-per-your suggestion, but to no avail. I have tried several different usb drives and both 11.04 and 10.04LTS and each time I get "failed to install bootloader". I think Linux problems just gravitate towards me :P

tlcstat
July 25th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Delete

ninjaschwa
July 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the tip, I used a similar method in the end and burned a Trinity Rescue Kit CD to rewrite the MBR; now it boots Windows fine... my new problem is keeping the blasted thing stable long enough to find a way of gaining access to the "e-recovery" partition!

Thanks for the help anyway :)