PDA

View Full Version : SSH: Asking "Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?" Every Time?

tdrusk
July 23rd, 2011, 05:49 PM
Is there a way, after running the ssh XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX command to ask "Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?" every time that it is ran?

dwhitney67
July 23rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
That particular ssh question should only be asked once. If you acknowledge the question with a "yes", then an entry is placed within your ~/.ssh/known_hosts file.

Make sure that your ~/.ssh directory has the following permission mode set: 700.

chmod 700 ~/.ssh

Then make sure that your ~/.ssh/known_hosts has the following permission mode: 600

chmod 600 ~/.ssh/known_hosts

If you have entries within your ~/.ssh/known_hosts that conflict with an entry you are trying to add, then remove the offending entry.

P.S. If you do not have a ~/.ssh directory, then create it before make the chmod changes noted above.

tdrusk
July 23rd, 2011, 06:01 PM
That particular ssh question should only be asked once. If you acknowledge the question with a "yes", then an entry is placed within your ~/.ssh/known_hosts file.

Make sure that your ~/.ssh directory has the following permission mode set: 700.

chmod 700 ~/.ssh
Then make sure that your ~/.ssh/known_hosts has the following permission mode: 600

chmod 600 ~/.ssh/known_hosts
If you have entries within your ~/.ssh/known_hosts that conflict with an entry you are trying to add, then remove the offending entry.

P.S. If you do not have a ~/.ssh directory, then create it before make the chmod changes noted above.
Thanks, but I still have some problems.

See, I have a script that connects with ssh. If the user has never connected to that host before they will be prompted. If they have, however, they won't be. I am using an expect script to answer the questions, and I can't find a way to account for both situations without simply asking every time.

stylishpants
July 25th, 2011, 09:51 PM
You can disable strict checking of host keys. With this setting, ssh will connect even if the host key is not found in the known_hosts file.

You can do it on the command line this way:

ssh -o "StrictHostKeyChecking no" XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Or you can update your ~/.ssh/config to include this setting.

For more information:

man ssh_config | less -p StrictHostKeyChecking

slavik
July 26th, 2011, 01:51 AM
You can disable strict checking of host keys. With this setting, ssh will connect even if the host key is not found in the known_hosts file.

You can do it on the command line this way:

ssh -o "StrictHostKeyChecking no" XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Or you can update your ~/.ssh/config to include this setting.

For more information:

man ssh_config | less -p StrictHostKeyChecking
at one point I had an expect script to roll through 90 servers via ssh, the quoted post is the method I used. I have come to memorize that option. ;)

mikejonesey
July 26th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Is there a way, after running the ssh XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX command to ask "Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?" every time that it is ran?

there are three ways to ensure that you are asked the permissions every time...

1. permissions as noted above, although i would have gone with 400 on the known hosts, so no-one can write to the file? rather than 600?

2. a wrapper script to remove the line from the known_hosts

3. a wrapper script to replace ssh command (update-alternatives, mv ssh, call ssh from new script), new script can have custom read from user...