PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] BASH: Program already running?

Volens
July 21st, 2011, 07:23 PM
The situations is as follows:

I am trying to write some startup scripts for a MineCraft server I've been running. I have some that have been working, but I feel that they are very messy.

Basically the script must do these things:

Check if there is already and instance of the server running
Start the MC server if it isn't already started
Check if there is already an instance of Ventrilo running
Start Ventrilo if it isn't already
My current solution uses ps and grep, however, I have recently read that ps | ax, pgrep etc. can occasionally return false values due to PID reassignments etc.. I also read about a half-solution using an "until" loop (this only makes sure it actually started and cannot check if the script is re-run).

I considered a different approach that would use the exit code of "screen" (which I am using to manage the server) to determine if the screen the server was running on existed yet. Running "screen -r screenname" will give me a "1" if it doesn't exist, but if it does, it goes to that screen which does me no good.

At a loss for other solutions I have turned to the forum to ask:

Is there an ideal way to check for the existence of processes, or was I on the right track? I am content with the performance of my current script, but it would put my mind at ease if a more experienced coder could give me some insight because there is a difference between basic functionality and elegant functionality.

mikejonesey
July 21st, 2011, 08:34 PM
ps is fine, you can always generate a lock file in the init dcript for each server, then if ps does not find the process, lauch the init script which generates a lock file...

for example;

script to check and launch init;

servCheck=$(ps -ef | grep -i mincraft...)
[CODE]if [ -z "$servCheck" ]; then
/init.d/mine start
fi

edit the init.d script to;

if start... launch custom start script...

custom start script:

touch /var/lock/minelock
# here would go whatever the launch command was from the init script
functuin serverStopped()
{
rm /var/lock/minelock
}

trap serverStopped EXIT

Volens
July 21st, 2011, 08:56 PM
Ok, I had seen some stuff on lock files. I guess I'll try it out.

I remember reading that making sure the lock file is removed after the process dies is important. Is there any way to ensure this if for instance I had a power outage?

I only ask because what got me started with scripting was the need to back up maps since I had one get corrupted on me when I lost power. I'd rather not purchase a aux power supply for a little hobby server.