PDA

View Full Version : Java AudioClip not working in Ubuntu

Carenthir
July 20th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I'm learning Java and doing great so far, I've been messing with graphics and stuff and even programmed two little games, but I just decided to start messing with sound today. So I've been trying different sound packages but I could get no sound with any of them in Ubuntu. Well about an hour ago I decided just to try it in Windows..and sure enough it worked. So why is my app not working in Ubuntu? Here's this code..

<code>
import java.applet.AudioClip;
import java.awt.Graphics;

import javax.swing.JApplet;

public class testSound extends JApplet {
private AudioClip testClip;

public void init( ) {
testClip = getAudioClip(getCodeBase(),"EpochsEnd.mid");
}

public void paint(Graphics g) {
g.drawString("Epoch's End", 25, 25);
}

public void stop( ) {
testClip.stop( );
}

public void start( ) {
testClip.loop( );
} // end of testSound

}
</code>

Zugzwang
July 20th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Try playing something else than a MIDI file. You might not be running a MIDI emulator to hear those.

PaulM1985
July 20th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I have seen this problem a few times before but unfortunately I have never seen a solution.
Sorry.
Paul

Carenthir
July 20th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I just tried a .wav file, and the sound DID INDEED WORK. However..it came through my laptop speakers and not my USB headset, I can probably find something on fixing that. Anyway how would I go about getting some sort of "Midi Emulator?"

PaulM1985
July 20th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I found this...
http://www.java-tips.org/java-se-tips/javax.sound.midi/how-to-load-and-play-midi-audio-19.html

Paul

Carenthir
July 20th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks, but I actually found that exact code somewhere else. However it didn't work, so I thought I'd try rewriting it adding each statement in a try and catch block so I could specifically find out which statement wasn't working.

Sequencer sequencer = MidiSystem.getSequencer();

That was throwing the MidiUnavaiableException. And if I'm understanding that statement correctly, that's the program actually trying to get the Midi Device ready for sequencing an audio file. I tried something else with that, having Java code query my system to see if I have midi devices. And it actually returned "Real Time Sequencer." Now I also read somewhere that the code may not be able to use the device if another program has not released the device. So I rebooted..but it still throws that exception. So... yeah. :confused:

Edit: Thought I'd add that Banshee can play Midi perfectly fine.

PaulM1985
July 20th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Have you tried:

sudo update-alternatives --config java

Paul

Carenthir
July 20th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I got it fixed! I'm still relatively new to Ubuntu, so I didn't know anything about that. However I tried it and I noticed that it referenced openDJK when I had actually removed that a few days ago because I was having problems in my Java programs and I thought maybe I would try the official jdk from Oracle. But I wondered why openJDK still showed up in the alternatives list. So I tried removing the ones from oracle and reinstalling openJDK and the midi works! My other programs I coded work fine too, little slower to load up but that's fine long as they work! Lol. Well thanks for all the help, much appreciated. =)