PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Path Issues

mastahyeti
July 20th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I have a number of programs that I would like to be able to run via either gnome-do or <alt>+F2 run dialog. I am keeping these programs in ~/.bin and I went into my bashrc file and added this location to my path and even after restarting the computer gnome-do and the run dialog are not picking up on this path. It is working fine from the terminal, so I know I didn't actually mess up the path. Is there some place else where I need to add this path for this to work? Thanks!

AlphaLexman
July 20th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Normally users put their programs in ~/bin NOT ~/.bin
Not that it makes a difference, just double-check your ~/.bashrc to make sure your $PATH matches.

echo $PATH

enimeizoo
July 20th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Not sure about gnome, but in kde, krunner doesn't use the same env variables, not sure if it is because it overwrites it when launched, or something.

Maybe try to run in the run dialog.

echo $PATH > output.txtAnd see what path is used.

mastahyeti
July 20th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Here is the my path in gnome-terminal:

btoews@btoews01:~$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:~/.bin

interestingly though, entering "echo $PATH > /home/username/output" didn't create a file... It must be something about how the run dialog actually runs commands. It must launch binaries rather than actually running shell commands.

Still no solution. Any further ideas?

AlphaLexman
July 20th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Is there a 'Run in terminal' radio button in the run dialog box?
If so, activate it, if not try running a shell before your program...

sh /home/username/.bin/foo

mastahyeti
July 20th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I tried the "run in terminal" button and it also didn't work. As for the sh idea, it does work if I give the whole path like that, but I was hoping to be able to just type the name of the program.

AlphaLexman
July 20th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Is (Are) the program(s) compiled binaries, or shell scripts??

If you type in enough unique characters does the 'run dialog' finish the program_name for you??

mastahyeti
July 20th, 2011, 09:01 PM
The one I am testing with right now is a symbolic link to a binary. it doesn't autocomplete

AlphaLexman
July 20th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Why not just put the actual path to the binary in your $PATH variable instead of linking to it in ~/.bin ??

The run dialog would then perform as expected.

mastahyeti
July 20th, 2011, 09:35 PM
because it would screw up my relative paths if I moved the bin. Right now, I have things laid out like this:

~/.bin/myapp/myapp = Actual binary
~/.bin/myapp/myapp.cfg = config file or whatever
~/.bin/myapp/lib/foo = some library or other file needed by binary
~/.bin/myapp => ~/.bin/myapp/myapp = symlink to binary that is on $PATH

This way I don't need to add each sub directory to $path . Does that make sense?

wojox
July 20th, 2011, 09:41 PM
How many bin directories do you have in $HOME?

Does the end of .bashrc look like this:

if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
PATH="$PATH:$HOME/bin"
fi

That keeps it persistent through out reboots.

AlphaLexman
July 20th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Does that make sense?
Well...
NO.

Config files and library files do NOT need to be in the $PATH variable.

Besides, your $PATH variable could be a thousand characters long, and the command interpreter would give up after the first one found.