PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Hdmi doesnt fit screen

toddi10
July 20th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I just installed linux on my computer yesterday. My problem is that when im trying to connect to my tv with hdmi, some of the desktop goes out of the screen. I have tried changing resolution in the nvidia settings. I have also tried to change the aspect ratio on my tv, but that doesnt seem to solve the problem.

Any of you know whats wrong?

- Toddi10

Bodsda
July 20th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I just installed linux on my computer yesterday. My problem is that when im trying to connect to my tv with hdmi, some of the desktop goes out of the screen. I have tried changing resolution in the nvidia settings. I have also tried to change the aspect ratio on my tv, but that doesnt seem to solve the problem.

Any of you know whats wrong?

- Toddi10

Hit CTRL+F8 to cycle through output mode. Mine fits the tv after one press of that combo.

HTH,
Bodsda

toddi10
July 20th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Nothing happened...

androssofer
July 20th, 2011, 04:09 PM
ooo i had this problem.. is it on a nvidia graphics card?

in the nvidia settings manager is a way to scale the screen up and down. is called offset or sumthing like tht...

in work atm, but will confirm wen i get home. (assuming ur using nvidia...)

toddi10
July 20th, 2011, 04:15 PM
ooo i had this problem.. is it on a nvidia graphics card?

in the nvidia settings manager is a way to scale the screen up and down. is called offset or sumthing like tht...

in work atm, but will confirm wen i get home. (assuming ur using nvidia...)

Yes it is Nvidia, but i cant find the "offset" settings. Lets just wait until you get home.

Sorry for being a noob :P

androssofer
July 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Yes it is Nvidia, but i cant find the "offset" settings. Lets just wait until you get home.

Sorry for being a noob :P

dnt appologise man! haha. thats what this place is for! :), i'm 4 years into ubuntu and i'm still a noob (the stuff some of these guys know is scary..)

extra question does ur nvidia manager all fit on the screen? cus i tried lubuntu and it didnt, so couldnt change the settings :(, but on average ubuntu it was fine.

jawilljr
July 20th, 2011, 04:21 PM
It is called overscan.

Here is a website (http://linux.jeremytennant.com/tag/overscan/) with a picture where it is.

What make and model TV do you have. It might have on option to do what is called "1:1 pixel mapping". Mine is a LG and it has a "Just Scan" option which makes the TV act like an ordinary monitor.

Jerry

androssofer
July 20th, 2011, 04:26 PM
It is called overscan.

thats what its called! offset wasnt even close! haha. didnt know about this pixel mapping lark tho... might try tht wen i get in! :)

toddi10
July 20th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys! The overscan thingy worked.

- Toddi10