PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Touchpad working horribly in 11.04

LtdEdFred
July 17th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Hello.

I have just bought a new computer (Samsung SF 311 (http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-peripherals/notebook-computers/thin-and-light/NP-SF311-A01UK/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification9)), I quickly installed Ubuntu 11.04 without messing about much in the preinstalled Windows 7. When I booted into Ubuntu for the first time I noticed that the touchpad acted horrible.

Two-finger scrolling works fine but pointer precision is awful. It moves fine but when I'm trying to hover a link or similar the cursor starts trembling and it's actually so bad that I sometimes miss the link. Now that I'm Windows (had to reinstall it to check whether the problem was hardware or software related) I can put my finger down on the pad and the cursor stands perfectly still (until I move my finger of course) but doing the same in Ubuntu caused it to flicker back and forth.

Another thing that makes the problem unbearable is that I'm unable to mark text. When I put the cursor on a sentence I want to copy a part of and then press the lower left part of the pad (using a second finger) it activates the right-click menu. Double-clicking a sentence or paragraph and then editing out the segment I want is going to get a bit tiresome.

Also clicking the lower right part of the pad does nothing in Ubuntu (in Win it works as right click).

Can I choose a different driver for the touchpad in Ubuntu? Does anyone have any other tips for me? I really don't want to be stuck with Windows :(