PDA

View Full Version : Problem with python Digg API -simple code

mikedemon
July 17th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Hello,

I try to fetch some data via the version 2 of Digg's API using python. The code returns all details of the selected user. However I just want to see the total number of followers this user has. I tried to do it but keep getting errors

up to here works and returns all details as shown below

{u'count': .diggstatic.com/user/6754998/r.png'], u'gender': u'', u'diggs': 64104, u'comments': 226, u'followers': 3582, u'location': u'Lahore', u'following': 217, u'submissions': 441, u'icon': u'http://cdn1.diggstatic.com/user/6754998/p.png'}}, u'timestamp': 1310895431, u'cursor': u'', u'version': u'2.0', u'authorized': u'0', u'data': u'users', u'method': u'user.getInfo', u'user': None}

I tired to add this line to get the followers but getting error (AttributeError: 'dict' object has no attribute 'followers')

fol = user.followers
print fol
u'followers' is not allowed due to quotation mark

cgroza
July 17th, 2011, 02:47 PM
The user variable seems just a plain dictionary. Try:

user["followers"]

#and not

user.followers

Also, I suggest you to not assign to the user variable and use a different one inside the loop to store your data.

mikedemon
July 17th, 2011, 04:19 PM
i tired that but getting KeyError: 'fors' , please help

cgroza
July 17th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Post the output of "print user.keys()" in CODE tags.

mikedemon
July 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Post the output of "print user.keys()" in CODE tags.

hi

it says

[ta', u'method', u'user']

cgroza
July 17th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Ok, that dictionary has no such key.
I tried to find the documentation for the Digg2 API, but with no luck.

If you could provide me a link where I can find it, I may be able to help you.
Otherwise, I have no clue how that API works.

mikedemon
July 17th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Ok, that dictionary has no such key.
I tried to find the documentation for the Digg2 API, but with no luck.

If you could provide me a link where I can find it, I may be able to help you.
Otherwise, I have no clue how that API works.

Hi

Dont the api

TwoEars
July 17th, 2011, 07:05 PM
The reason why user.keys() isn't showing you what you want is because followers is actually based inside a nested dict - to get to it, try -

from digg.api import Digg2
digg = Digg2()

li=["usq1111"]

for user in li:
#Are you sure this is what you want to do? I don't think it is.
user= digg.user.GetInfo(usernames="usq1111")
print user['users']['usq1111']['followers']

The original problem you were getting stems from the fact you can't access dict objects in Python using dict.<key>

mikedemon
July 17th, 2011, 07:44 PM
i was not aware of this

cgroza
July 17th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Hi you are very good and i was not aware of this , I got another tiny problem. If the names were coming from a txt file , more then one name

[code]
user= digg.user.GetInfo(usernames=listtextfile))

print user['users'],["What to write here"]['followers']/[code]

also want to out the results in txt file file , please help

A user name from the listtextfile

mikedemon
July 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM
A user name from the listtextfile
sure@?

TwoEars
July 17th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Hi you are very good and i was not aware of this , I got another tiny problem. If the names were coming from a txt file , more then one name

[code]
user= digg.user.GetInfo(usernames=listtextfile))

print user['users'],["What to write here"]['followers']/[code]

also want to out the results in txt file file , please help

Something like -

from digg.api import Digg2
d = Digg2()

names = [x.rstrip() for x in open('usernames.txt').readlines()]
users = d.user.getInfo(usernames=','.join(names))

followers = dict()

for name in users['users']:
followers[name] = users['users'][name]['followers']

print followers

Note this is very crude, and needs cleaning up for production code (it's just an example).

mikedemon
July 17th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Note this is very crude, and needs cleaning up for production code (it's just an example).[/QUOTE]

Thanks a Lot, Dont know how to thank you

TwoEars
July 17th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks a Lot, Dont know how to thank you

No worries, that's what these forums are here for.

mikedemon
July 18th, 2011, 02:00 PM
g error: KeyError: 'users' , Want to see the latest items myfollower dugg. From version 1.

TwoEars
July 18th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Can you please help with the following code

from digg.api import Digg
digg = Digg()

li=["usq1111"]

for user in li:

user= digg.user.getDugg(username="usq1111",count=1)
print user['users']['usq1111']['title']

Getting error: KeyError: 'users' , Want to see the latest items myfollower dugg. From version 1.

Can you mix version 1 and 2 in a single program.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it, as version 1 returns XML whereas version 2 returns JSON - something much easier to deal with in Python.

The way you're going to do it is probably going to be through - http://developers.digg.com/version2/user-getmynews

mikedemon
July 18th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I certainly wouldn't recommend it, as version 1 returns XML whereas version 2 returns JSON - something much easier to deal with in Python.

The way you're going to do it is probably going to be through - http://developers.digg.com/version2/user-getmynews

Is there a way to do this without authentication requirement. Each time i tired to authenticate i get the following error

HTTPError: HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error

TwoEars
July 18th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Is there a way to do this without authentication requirement. Each time i tired to authenticate i get the following error

HTTPError: HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error

No, it's required. What code are you using? (Replacing the key details with <KEY>)

mikedemon
July 18th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I get the error after entering code supplied From Digg, I changed the key and secret

TwoEars
July 18th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I get the error after entering code supplied From Digg, I changed the key and secret

from urlparse
import parse_qsimport sysfrom oauth2
import Consumer, Tokenfrom
digg.api import Diggconsumer = Consumer(key='myoauthconsumerkey', secret='myoauthconsumersecret')

digg = Digg(oauth_consumer=consumer)
response = digg.oauth.getRequestToken(oauth_callback='oob')

request_token = parse_qs(response)print 'Please visit the following URL to authorize this application'print 'http://digg.com/oauth/authorize?oauth_token=%s' % request_token['oauth_token'][0]sys.stdout.write('Type the verification number: ')verifier = sys.stdin.readline().rstrip('\r\n')request_token = Token(request_token['oauth_token'][0], request_token['oauth_token_secret'][0])request_token.set_verifier(verifier)response = digg.oauth.getAccessToken(oauth_token=request_toke n)response = parse_qs(response)access_token = Token(response['oauth_token'][0], response['oauth_token_secret'][0])print digg.oauth.verify(oauth_token=access_token)print digg.story.digg(id=22091157, oauth_token=access_token)

Can you link me to the documentation for this code? It doesn't seem very good to me.

mikedemon
July 18th, 2011, 07:58 PM
File "build\bdist.win32\egg\digg\api.py", line 96, in __call__
raise DiggError('Digg sent status %i for method: %s\ndetails: %s' % (e.code, self.methodname, e.fp.read()))
DiggError: Digg sent status 400 for method: user.getDugg
details: <html><body><b>Http/1.1 Bad Request</b></body> </html>

TwoEars
July 18th, 2011, 08:52 PM
What you should be doing is something like -

digg = Digg()
names = [users.strip()for users in open('usernames.txt')]
for name in names:
for a in digg.user.GetDugg(username=name ,count=1)['stories']:
print a['title']

Out of curiosity, how much Python experience do you have? I suggest getting a bit more before you start messing around with something like a website's API.

mikedemon
July 18th, 2011, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=TwoEars;11061106]What you should be doing is something like -

Hi

Thank you. Not much but did years they look bit similar, APIs are diffucult especially diggs one .
thanks for all your help.

TwoEars
July 18th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Hi

Thank you. Not much but did VB6 about 4 years they look bit similar, APIs are diffucult especially diggs one . Can understand the code but cant write it. Phyton is very effective will switch to it. Last two question, 1 regarding above code count function does not work. loops forever and Why time stamps are not human readable such as timestamp="1176999607"? means?

thanks

I suggest digging into a tutorial or try smaller projects beforehand then, just so you get the basics nailed down.

It loops forever? Are you sure, or is it just taking a long time? At which stage is it looping forever?

Time - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

mikedemon
July 18th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I suggest digging into a tutorial or try smaller projects beforehand then, just so you get the basics nailed down.

It loops forever? Are you sure, or is it just taking a long time? At which stage is it looping forever?

Time - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

No its fine, thats all i wanted to ask , i ordered a book will start reading very soon. I want to see how Facebooks API looks but will take some time reading the book.

thanks again

TwoEars
July 18th, 2011, 09:31 PM
No its fine, thats all i wanted to ask , i ordered a book will start reading very soon. I want to see how Facebooks API looks but will take some time reading the book.

thanks again

The Facebook API is very nice indeed, much nicer than Digg. Great documentation and great Python support.

mikedemon
July 18th, 2011, 09:42 PM
The Facebook API is very nice indeed, much nicer than Digg. Great documentation and great Python support.

Will contact you if i get problems: )) Just kidding, Are you a profesional programmer? i meant do you do this for living?

TwoEars
July 18th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Will contact you if i get problems: )) Just kidding, Are you a profesional programmer? i meant do you do this for living?

Of course you can, though you may find posting your questions openly on the forums or the Python mailing lists may solve your problems better in some cases ;) And yes, I am a professional programmer.

mikedemon
July 18th, 2011, 10:03 PM
yjamk upo

TwoEars
July 18th, 2011, 10:30 PM
thanks for being so kind and helpful. One very last question

digg = Digg()
names = [users.strip()for users in open('username.txt')]
for name in names:
for a in digg.user.GetDugg(username=name ,count=1)['stories']:
print a['title']
print a['timestamp']

I want to capture the time that item was Dugg. i added print a['timestamp'] tired date, time doesnt work , Can you please help me

No worries. :)

If you use "print a" in that loop and post the output here (just from one, not from all of them!), what does it give you?

mikedemon
July 18th, 2011, 10:35 PM
No worries. :)

If you use "print a" in that loop and post the output here (just from one, not from all of them!), what does it give you?

That’s cleaver, will check it my self next time. It is submit date

Thanks again

mikedemon
July 22nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks sorted