PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] >Backgrounds and Emblems don't work, help!

xxfireboy
July 17th, 2011, 01:21 AM
In my orig. post I did not state that I was now using gnome in Ubuntu 10.10.

I have "light sensitive eyes" and I have to be able to change the back ground colors from white to dark in such programs as Nautilus and editors. This is the main reason I've used KDE for years, it's very easy to change in KDE.

I have read the help from:
(http://library.gnome.org/users/user-guide/stable/nautilus-backgrounds-and-emblems.html.en) and every thing I can find "here" on changing the background colors to no good.

Heres whats happening:

I open Nautilus>Edit>Backgrounds and Emblems
I select Patterns>Drag a pattern title to an object to change it
But it don't work. I've tried the same thing with "Colors" and it
don't work.

I have dragged using right mouse button, middle button, and left button and they don't work.

Please point me to a "how to" or tell me how to make it work? TIA

xxfireboy
July 18th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I still need help if anyone can. I'll keep searching but I'll be back. TIA

xxfireboy
July 21st, 2011, 01:21 AM
I still need help>!

mcduck
July 21st, 2011, 06:36 AM
What "object" are you trying to drag the color/pattern to?

They only apply to the file manager's background (in icons or compact view, not in list view)

If you want dark backgrounds everywhere, you might want to pick up a dark GTK2 theme instead.

xxfireboy
July 21st, 2011, 07:52 PM
What "object" are you trying to drag the color/pattern to?

They only apply to the file manager's background (in icons or compact view, not in list view)

If you want dark backgrounds everywhere, you might want to pick up a dark GTK2 theme instead.

mcduck, Thanks. You pinned down my problem, I use the "list view" and your right. Changing to the compact view allowed me to change the background colors in Nautilus.

I don't like that but I can switch between the compact view and the list view while I'm working in Nautilus and that helps a lot. Thanks again! xxfb

mcduck
July 21st, 2011, 08:44 PM
No problem, great that it was actually something so simple. :)

Picking a dark GTK theme from gnome-look.org (http://gnome-look.org) might still be a good idea, though, as that would also affect the list view (and every other application, of course).

I also use the Negative plugin for compiz sometimes when I'm working in a dimly lit place and the white backgrounds get too bright for me. While not the prettiest solution (as it also inverts other colors, not just black & white) it's a fairly nice way to get anything to have dark background. Even web sites and other stuff that you can't really change otherwise.

xxfireboy
July 22nd, 2011, 08:26 PM
No problem, great that it was actually something so simple. :)

Picking a dark GTK theme from gnome-look.org (http://gnome-look.org) might still be a good idea, though, as that would also affect the list view (and every other application, of course).

I also use the Negative plugin for compiz sometimes when I'm working in a dimly lit place and the white backgrounds get too bright for me. While not the prettiest solution (as it also inverts other colors, not just black & white) it's a fairly nice way to get anything to have dark background. Even web sites and other stuff that you can't really change otherwise.

SOLVED.
mcduck,
While trying to learn how to install a darker theme from gnome-look.org like you pointed me to, I learned that I had to install the Gnome Color Chooser which I was not aware of. In the process of loading a darker theme into the color chooser the changes turned out to be even lighter that what I already had, so I clicked "Revert" to changed it back. Then just out of wanting try anything I made these changes in the color chooser Global>Colors>normal>background to a dark gray. Bam! List view changed to gray.

Nautilus "list view" changed to gray TOO! WHAT A RELIEF ON THE EYES!
So thanks for leading me to gnome-look.org and starting all this.

Have a good day mcduck knowing that you helped someone whose no longer being tortured by the glaring brightness that limits my time on my PC!
Thanks Again! xxfb