PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How do I troubleshoot stop errors?

limescout
July 16th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Hello all,
Recently my computer has been encountering stop errors and crashing. First, it happened once, but I was able to restart with no problems. Now, my computer will start up and I can log in, but the computer will usually crash as soon as I try and run a program, or soon after. As the computer starts up, funky things sometimes happen; the computer will take unusually long to do some steps, or fonts will change or resize, or I'll see a screen or some text that I had never seen in previous startups.

I'm dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu Natty, and it crashes in both. In 7, I get the blue screen, then I have to manually shut down. In Natty, different things happen. Usually, the computer freezes, and rainbow colored pixels start randomly appearing, blinking and changing color. It's VERY strange looking. Because the computer crashes soon after booting, I can't really use my OS to troubleshoot. I'll try a live disk and report back later.

I haven't recently installed any new software or hardware, so I don't have any suspects to work off of. How can I identify the problem, and fix it?
Thank you :D

limescout
July 27th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Bump