PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstallation Help

brandino
July 16th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I installed Ubuntu 11.04 over the Win7 my laptop came preloaded with. I wipe out the hard drive to get rid of the ubuntu stuff now i don't know how to get my win7 back. I tried installing a WinXP Home Edition disk that i used on my other computer and i cant get it to work. Can anyone instruct me on how to get Win7 back or how to install XP instead of Win7?

nzjethro
July 16th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Do you have install disks (not recovery disks) for Windows 7 and/or Windows XP? You will need the actual install disks, as well as a product key for your OS (if you laptop came with Win7, you should have a product key on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop).

You say that you "can't get it to work". Please provide more info - what did you do, and why did it not work? Were there any error messages etc?

brandino
July 17th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Do you have install disks (not recovery disks) for Windows 7 and/or Windows XP? You will need the actual install disks, as well as a product key for your OS (if you laptop came with Win7, you should have a product key on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop).

You say that you "can't get it to work". Please provide more info - what did you do, and why did it not work? Were there any error messages etc?
I didn't have a disk that came with my laptop, Win7 was default and was already installed before i took it out of the box. The error I am receiving for the XP disk is a blue screen that says to check for viruses and then restart and i cant check for viruses because i dont have a OS anymore. I wiped out my hardrive with Killdisk to get rid of Ubuntu, but now i dont have anything. Is there any partitioning or something i can do to get my Win7 back? I dont have any back up CDs or anything. My laptop came with no CDs. I made CD Rom boot 1st on my BIOS and it still did not work. I cant think of anything else. Do you have any other suggestions? would buying a new hard drive or OS Disk work or can i avoid doing that with something else?

foutes
July 17th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I didn't have a disk that came with my laptop, Win7 was default and was already installed before i took it out of the box. The error I am receiving for the XP disk is a blue screen that says to check for viruses and then restart and i cant check for viruses because i dont have a OS anymore. I wiped out my hardrive with Killdisk to get rid of Ubuntu, but now i dont have anything. Is there any partitioning or something i can do to get my Win7 back? I dont have any back up CDs or anything. My laptop came with no CDs. I made CD Rom boot 1st on my BIOS and it still did not work. I cant think of anything else. Do you have any other suggestions? would buying a new hard drive or OS Disk work or can i avoid doing that with something else?

I am afraid you can not get Win7 back from a partition as they were deleted.

Do you have a friend with a Win7 disk?

As for the Xp error I can not help you.

Mr. Shannon
July 17th, 2011, 07:52 AM
You might be able to get the manufacture of the laptop to send you some recovery disks for a lot less than a regular Windows 7 installation disk would be.

brandino
July 17th, 2011, 05:00 PM
You might be able to get the manufacture of the laptop to send you some recovery disks for a lot less than a regular Windows 7 installation disk would be.

https://warp2.external.hp.com/driver/dr_country_select.asp?Product=618139-001&lang=en&cc=us
would this be the right kit?

Mr. Shannon
July 19th, 2011, 07:51 AM
https://warp2.external.hp.com/driver...&lang=en&cc=us
would this be the right kit?

Probably, but I would call HP to be sure. Note: Recovery disks usually erase the whole hard drive so make sure everything is backed up before you use them.