PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Looking for CPU's

DoFlooterMoose
July 16th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Still fairly new to this forum stuff, so I apologise if Im posting this in the wrong thread, and, or if this kinda post is not allowed on here.

But I am currently looking for some CPU's for my Dell Dimension C521. Not sure of the exact model of Motherboard. I do know its a Dell board... I believe. Anyways it has an AMD x64 3200+ AM2 940 socket. I want to upgrade to at least a dual core, but have read that I can install a x4 core. Such as a Phenom x4 AM2+ socket. although some certain part of its abilities would be out of my grasp (if that makes any since) because of my board only being an AM2. wasnt sure what they was talking about. So...

First question. Has any of you had experience in upgrading like I am trying to do? If so, What have you learned from it, and whats my best option as far as CPU's go.

Second question. Being that they dont make these CPU's any more. They are rather hard to come by. Besides buying up one old computer after another, just in the hopes of finding one that has a CPU I may be looking for. Anyone know of a safe, reliable source for buying outdated CPU's? Oh... and fairly cheap. I am on a budget, and come on... they was fairly cheap when they was new, so should be cheaper now... right :confused:

Also... I know the i7's, i5's, A8's, Phenom II x6, etc... are great CPUs. But Im only interested in the ones that are AM2, or AM2+ sockets and compatible with my set up.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you all in advance.

dandnsmith
July 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM
When I wanted an out-of-production CPU, I went to ebay, where you can usually find something suitable (it depends how picky you are).
You're on your own as far as what would be suitable (looks as if you have the basic info sorted), so why not look, and then query about specific items (if you need to)

walt.smith1960
July 16th, 2011, 04:12 PM
It might be worth reading this if you do indeed have a socket 940 mother board.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_940.
Further research is probably warranted. A brief glance seems to indicate that socket 940 may or may not accomodate AM2 processors.

akand074
July 16th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I just googled and it sent me to Amazon pages (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_20?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=am2+socket+processor&x=0&y=0&sprefix=am2+socket+processor). They don't seem to have AM2 on any of the major retailers so you might have to go for Amazon/ebay. Silly thing is, AM3 processors that are better you can get even cheaper than some AM2s it seems. You could probably purchase an AM3 motherboard + processor for ~100$. But you'll have to check compatibility for everything else. I've managed to see a full decent computer put together for ~300$ from places like newegg.

DoFlooterMoose
July 16th, 2011, 06:57 PM
It might be worth reading this if you do indeed have a socket 940 mother board.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_940.
Further research is probably warranted. A brief glance seems to indicate that socket 940 may or may not accomodate AM2 processors.

Ok... I typo'd in my initial post. I see where it said 940 socket and AM2 socket CPUs are not compatible. I should have rechecked what I put. I have a 940 pin AM2 socket. not AM2 940 socket. Two different sockets all together :)

The more I research it the more conflicting reports I get. One person says they put a Phenom x4 in, and another will say the max was a AMD Athlon x2 6000+. Also realise I need to find out the watts I can use or something like that. But... one thing I hadn't taken in consideration is if the Bios will let me use it at all. A few sites have mentioned the lack of Bios updates that Dell offers for older computers, cause they would rather I just buy a new one.

I guess I should have done my school work on this one before coming on here n asking questions. Guess I was looking for the easy answers :P

DoFlooterMoose
July 16th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I just googled and it sent me to Amazon pages (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_20?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=am2+socket+processor&x=0&y=0&sprefix=am2+socket+processor). They don't seem to have AM2 on any of the major retailers so you might have to go for Amazon/ebay. Silly thing is, AM3 processors that are better you can get even cheaper than some AM2s it seems. You could probably purchase an AM3 motherboard + processor for ~100$. But you'll have to check compatibility for everything else. I've managed to see a full decent computer put together for ~300$ from places like newegg.

I have thought a lot about that too. I just installed 7 on a elderly neighbor friend of mines desktop, that he had built for around 350.00. It has the i3 and 3GB of ram. and it was a Gigabyte Mobo. And extremely fast. I am actually going to build a new Desktop, but its going to be done one piece at a time. cant afford it any other way. So until I have everything for it and put together I need to keep this one going. Which I'm not having any issues with. I just want a little more ummph. Thought or hoped maybe someone might know of a PC shop they maybe sold used older parts like that. Ill keep looking though.