PDA

View Full Version : calloc or malloc ?

lucasart
July 16th, 2011, 01:51 PM
hello

i'm wondering whether to use malloc or calloc in C. calloc zero initializes the memory, but is there any other difference ?
i need to allocate a potentially large chunk of memory, and I do want to zero initialize it. So should I do malloc and memset, or just calloc ?

thanks

NovaAesa
July 16th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I would just use calloc. As far as I know there is a no difference between malloc + memset to 0 and calloc.

johnl
July 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM
If you want to zero-initialize the memory, use calloc.

If you don't care about the memory contents or you are planning to overwrite the memory immediately with some (mostly non-zero) data, use malloc.

Bachstelze
July 16th, 2011, 02:38 PM
calloc will be faster on most OSes (I tested on Linux and OS X, I expect most POSIX OSes to be the same, no idea about Windows). Do you really need to zero-fill the memory, though?

nvteighen
July 16th, 2011, 03:04 PM
My 0.02:

By default, I use calloc() because it ensures me that the memory has been initialized to a value I know. Even if I'm going to overwrite it immediately after; it's safer and I'm absolutely not concerned about losing miliseconds of CPU time.

lucasart
July 16th, 2011, 03:12 PM
calloc will be faster on most OSes (I tested on Linux and OS X, I expect most POSIX OSes to be the same, no idea about Windows). Do you really need to zero-fill the memory, though?
Thanks. Yes, I do in the precise context where I use it need zero initialization. Although I really don't mind writing a memset call just after.
What I'm mostly worried about is memory limitations. Can I imagine calloc-ing something like 256 MB of RAM ? or is it better to use malloc for that.
as for the actuall speed of the function itself, it's not important here. only executed once during some program initialization function.

MadCow108
July 16th, 2011, 03:20 PM
calloc is probably to be faster than malloc +memset, but it should really not matter, just use the simpler calloc. Both functions should have the same limitations (= it might be hard to allocate a huge continuous block depending on memory fragmentation and kernel version).

I prefer malloc + MALLOC_PERTURB_ when I don't need initialized to zero memory, it sets the content of the memory buffer to some (preferably large) value
it helps finding bugs

calloc'd memory can hide bugs , e.g. when you unintentionally access it but the code will still work because its zero:
e.g. code like this:

memory_Value = &wrong_calloc_memory_location;
for(int i=0; i < *memory_value; i++)
// do something important but does not cause a crash when skipped
can often work due to *memory_value being zero, but when it was malloc'd with MALLOC_PERTURB_ it is likely that you will notice the bug earlier.