PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] tool bar in ubuntu 11.04 has disapeared

linuxNooby??
July 16th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Hi, I have just started ubuntu 11.04 and it worked fine the first day but the next it disapeared! How do I get it back?

Mr. Shannon
July 16th, 2011, 06:39 AM
What do you mean by "tool bar"? Are you using Unity or Ubuntu Classic? Have you changed any Compiz settings?

Wild Man
July 16th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Hi, I have just started ubuntu 11.04 and it worked fine the first day but the next it disapeared! How do I get it back?
Hi, if you changed compiz settings you can click on reset unity and compiz in my signature below this text and just reset unity.

If you did not change any settings in compiz have a look at this link.
http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com/2011/04/missing-top-and-side-panels-in-unity.html

linuxNooby??
July 16th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I am using Ubuntu 11.4 but I don't know what to call the side panel thing. sorry about that I like just got Ubuntu 3 days ago.

Mr. Shannon
July 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I'm not sure what to call the sidebar either, but since you said side panel that tells me you are using Unity and not Ubuntu Classic. Therefore, you should follow the instructions in post #3 to fix the problem. If you have not changed any Compiz settings then that may not work, but it can't hurt to try.

linuxNooby??
July 16th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I'm for sure I'm using 11.4 but were is the unity?

asadullah
July 16th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I'm for sure I'm using 11.4 but were is the unity?

It's the launcher that appears on the left side of your screen when you move your mouse over there or push the windows flag key

linuxNooby??
July 16th, 2011, 07:31 PM
K ty for telling me that helps alot.

asadullah
July 16th, 2011, 08:21 PM
This is why they should give a picture tutorial when you install ubuntu instead of showing highlights or both.

Wild Man
July 16th, 2011, 09:40 PM
K ty for telling me that helps alot.Hi, did you get it fixed? Also there is two methods to fix the problem in post #3, one of those should work.

linuxNooby??
July 18th, 2011, 10:01 PM
k ty but I sadly cant fix it this week since I am on vacation and ubuntu is on my desktop.

linuxNooby??
August 22nd, 2011, 01:26 AM
Hi guys sorry it took so long to reply. So reseting the unity does work but when ever I boot into ubuntu it always isn't there any more so I always have to reset it.

travisHAZE
August 22nd, 2011, 01:54 PM
If you'd like you could always try gnome instead. Natty is my first Ubuntu version, and I despise Unity. (Personal opinion, the only good thing about Unity is the dock.)

When you log in, before you hit enter with your password in the appropriate box, there will be a bar at the bottom, and it should say Ubuntu. If you click it you should see Ubuntu Classic, Recovery Console, Ubuntu Classic No Effects, User Defined Session, and one other, though I'm not sure what it says (If you have any other Desktop Environments like xfce, kde, etc. they will also show up here, this is how you switch between environments)
Select Ubuntu Classic, and viola, a suddenly nicer working space.

If you like the dock from unity, DockbarX is a decent way to go, but I've had some trouble with it by itself, so I've also gotten the plugin for it for AWN and am using AWN with it.

Have you tried DockbarX (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/08/dockbarx-046-released-with-new-autohide.html)?
From one of my posts, gread thread, it'll help you add DockbarX.

To install AWN open the Synaptic Package Manager (in gnome it's System, Administration, Synaptic...)
Search for AWN, scroll down for the one that says like 'awn-applet-all' or something like that (beginning is awn, ending is all)
Install that package, it will install everything you need for AWN.

linuxNooby??
August 28th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Thank you but I have already tried that when my "geeky" cousin came over.