PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help a Linux newbie?

ZZ10
July 16th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Hi, I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of weeks and have found it a pleasant change from windows. However, after the last software update (yesterday) my desktop environment has been changed and the drop down menus replaced with a not very useful sidebar launcher. I didn't ask for or give informed consent for this dramatic change to the ubuntu desktop and would very much like it back the way it was.
Can someone tell me how to uninstall it?
Any help greatly appreciated
ZZ

oldfred
July 16th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Welcome to the forums.

You choose which desktop you want as you log in. There is a choice after you enter your login name before you accept. It should have remembered but the update must have overwritten the file that saved the remember.

The side bar is working better but my screen is 4:3 not 16:9 so I hate to lose the space on the side when I have more top & bottom.

PenguinMan2907
July 16th, 2011, 01:11 AM
The new thing is called Unity. To stop it click on your name on login and there is a menu that says Ubuntu or Unity2D. Click that and choose Ubuntu Classic. Hope this helps.

judedawson
July 16th, 2011, 03:13 AM
...my desktop environment has been changed and the drop down menus replaced with a not very useful sidebar launcher...
ZZ

<ouch!>