View Full Version : [SOLVED] Arrow key problem

July 15th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I'm using a dual boot laptop (eMachines 250) with Windows XP on my internal hard drive and Ubuntu 11.4 on external hard drive. Here's my problem:
One day I downloaded (from indiedb), installed and tried a game called BOH. After launching the game, my keyboard started acting strange. Left and Down Arrows work now as Alt GR, Page Up gives me /, my Alt Gr is now Enter, my right Ctrl functions as Page Down and my Right Arrow, Home and End do not work at all. I don't know what my Page Down is, but if I push it down and press A twice, I get . Up Arrow on the other hand works as Up Arrow and Delete is Delete.
This only happens on my primary (and only) account on Ubuntu. If I boot to Windows or sign in as guest on ubuntu, everything works as they should. Even if I go to view my keyboard layout, it says that everything works as charmed. (And Fn functios are normal altough when I set screen brighter, i also get )
Which brings us to the fact that changing keyboard language does not help changing things back. (I'm using Fi-fi layout, since I'm in Finland)
The funniest part is, that I had the same problem once before, but I didn't know back then how I got it or how it miracously got fixed. And by fixed, I mean that every button works the way they were meant to work.
Could someone please help?

P.S. sorry if this is in wrong section.
P.P.S. sorry, that's Ubuntu 11.04, not 11.4

July 20th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I could really use some help. Or am I the only one with this problem?

July 27th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I take that as yes

August 3rd, 2011, 06:47 PM
No, you aren't the only one. I've got exactly the same problem. Have you found a solution yet?

some additional information:
- using Ubuntu 10.04 with compiz
- during a session the mis-arrangement of the keyboard sometimes gets worse: after some time additional errors occur like the [.]/[:] button (on the German Keyboard) suddenly does work any more.
- plugging the keyboard in and out during a running session helps to fix the problem for the the duration of the running session. After performing a restart, the same problem as described above re-appears.

August 6th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I guess I just have to buy a USB keyboard to plug in and plug out every time.

August 17th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Hey! {[]}\"$$%%&/( @@@

No precise idea what solved it but a trace (Thanks to my nice IT support):
Go to
System>Settings>Keyboard. Go to the second tab (should be sth. like key assignments or so) One of these two solved it:
check the language settings or play around with them
Click the options button at the bottom>there should be sth. like "key for shifting into the 3rd key level". There choose the right Alt key (Alt Gr?) as changing key to the 3rd level.

Y@h B@by! :guitar:

August 19th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Well... I tried the second one first, but it didn't have any effect. Then I decided to play around the language settings and the window froze (everything else worked fine, only the keyboard window didn't respond; it didn't even quit). Then I decided to restart, since usually anything takes effect after reboot, and all I get now is a blinking Caps lock light and Ubuntu won't boot at all after Grub screen.
However, if I choose older version of Ubuntu when I'm on Grub, It boots fine... and the main problem still remains... Windows on the other hand works fine.

Maybe I just let my Ubuntu to collect dust until Oneiric is out and try again then. (Or not, becouse http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1829151)

Edit again: After updating, Ubuntu boots fine

August 21st, 2011, 11:01 AM
Holy Schipperke, Batman. I FIXED IT. All i had to do was
setxkbmap fiEdit: Well. It works until I reboot. So is there a way how the command would run automatically on startup So I don't have to type it every time.

EDIT: Pretty please. I can't find a tip that works. I have tried creating a file which has the command in it, but no. I also tried adding the "setxkbmap fi" in "command" in where I can choose which programs run at startup. I also tried locating setxkbmap and making it run on startup.

August 28th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Putting "gnome-terminal --command setxkbmap fi" to start up in system settings did the trick