PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Natty: Appearance->Fonts won't show Tahoma

kkruecke
July 15th, 2011, 01:34 AM
After going to Appearance->Fonts, in Natty, I changed the "Window title font" from Tahoma to "Arial Black". Now I can't change it back because Tahoma isn't listed in the "Pick a Font" dialog.

I don't know how I originally got Tahoma. I think it did that several versions of Ubuntu ago. How do I get it to show up in the "Pick a Font" dialog? I do have ttf-mscorefonts-installer installed. Doing

# dpkg -L ttf-mscorefonts-installer

shows that they are in this directory:

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts

But Tahoma is not in there? Very strange.

koleoptero
July 15th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Tahoma isn't included in the fonts the msttcorefonts-installer pack installs. You'll have to find it from some other source and install it by copying it either to /usr/share/fonts/ or to ~/.fonts

Obviously in your case it somehow got removed at some point when the package was updated although it does seem strange.

kkruecke
July 15th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks for your reply. Evidently, they can be copied from my window partions, from c:/Windows/Fonts. But do I need to worry about ant-aliasing? This article (http://www.stchman.com/ms_fonts.html) (which is a bit old) says:

Get the XML scripts

Now that the fonts are installed we will need to use the XML scripts to turn off the anti-aliasing. Download the scripts here. These scripts also have quite a few aliases so that the Microsoft core fonts are used mostly.

Unpack the scripts to your /etc/fonts folder by doing the following in a terminal:

sudo tar -xvjpf fontconfig.tbz -C /etc/fonts/

koleoptero
July 16th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Sorry for the late reply...

You don't need to no. At least my copy of tahoma doesn't look ugly or anything. A bit different than in windows perhaps, but that's better.

kkruecke
July 16th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the reply!