PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Continuous buzzing sound at startup.

Uubnewb
July 12th, 2011, 03:42 PM
This morning when I started up my computer I was greeted by a continuous buzzing noise before the operating system even loaded. It didn't sound like the regular boot-up warning beeps which made me think that something must have broke (or is busy breaking). I plugged out the harddrives and the DVD drive but the buzzing noise persists. The computer boots up without a problem, and everything seems to work fine except for that annoying sound.

Side-note: The computer is less than a year old (except for the harddrives, which came from my old computer) and I did not add any new hardware for the past couple of months. I also did not install any new software that I can think of since the last shut-down.

Any ideas what could cause this?

The attachment contains a small recording of the buzzing sound, just in case someone finds it useful.

DanneStrat
July 12th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Have you checked if the noise comes from the power supply?

If it does, then the power supply needs to be replaced.

Is it a desktop pc or laptop?

Uubnewb
July 13th, 2011, 06:56 AM
It's a desktop computer, but I believe I found the problem.

I was packing the computer up this morning to take it back to the vendor since it is still under guarantee, but before closing everything up I decided to give it one more try. At first computer didn't make the buzzing sound, but then the CPU fan stopped spinning and immediately the buzzing started again.

I'm hoping that it is just some dust clogging up the fan, so I'm going to clean the computer tonight and see what happens.

DanneStrat
July 13th, 2011, 12:21 PM
so I'm going to clean the computer tonight and see what happens.

Sounds good.

By the way, did you do any software update the day before the buzzing?

Uubnewb
July 14th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I don't know of any software updates, but I usually let the pc download the updates automatically and when I restart the updates are installed, so I guess it could cause a problem if the updates are incompatible.

However, I'm glad to report that in this case, it was merely some dust. My computer is working fine again, and running more silently than it had for months. The weird thing is, the dust wan't that much - sure, I could see the dust on the fan-blades and in the heat-sinks, but not to the extend that I'd expect it to make much of a difference.

This leads me to think that either the dust got into places that I didn't see or the CPU fan is very weak. Either way, I really should clean the case a bit more often.

DanneStrat
July 14th, 2011, 10:19 AM
...or the CPU fan is very weak.

Indeed it is. It doesn't take much to slow it down or even stop it.

The reason I asked if you did an update/upgrade the day before is
because it is pretty common to see people with broken hardware support
after upgrading from a release to another if they have made changes to
system configuration files and these don't get overwritten in the upgrade process.

I'm glad you found the cause of the problem.

iiiears
July 14th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Hello,

Buzzing?
Can you put your ear to the case and hear it from there or is it from the speakers?

I had a OEM White box barebones computer with a dry fan bearing - just about drove me nuts. Added graphite and fixed it right up. Avoid oil|WD40
as it becomes a grit magnet.

Post again and let us know how things turned out. okay?