PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which version of Ubuntu for old PC

homebre973
July 12th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Hi,
I am new to the forum and have been trying to get Ubuntu 11.0 to work on an old PC. It is an HP Compaq Pentium 4 2.8 GHz with ~768 MB RAM and a 120 GB Hard Drive with windows XP. It uses a PCI card for the ethernet and video. I was having trouble with the monitor display flashing, etc and managed to switch to Ubuntu classic with no effects. This fixed the display for the most part (still not great). However, it seems to be slow and clunky at times. Should I be using another version of Ubuntu. Thx.

moe19790
July 12th, 2011, 02:27 PM
try lubuntu
http://lubuntu.net/

homebre973
July 12th, 2011, 03:06 PM
try lubuntu
http://lubuntu.net/

Do I need to uninstall Ubuntu to install lubuntu? If so how do I uninstall it? I am running a duel boot system with windows XP, so I do not want to play with partitions or reformat. Thanks.

FormatSeize
July 12th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Do I need to uninstall Ubuntu to install lubuntu? If so how do I uninstall it? I am running a duel boot system with windows XP, so I do not want to play with partitions or reformat. Thanks.
No, you don't have to uninstall it. You can just format then overwrite the partition that Ubuntu currently lives on while not messing with your Windows partition.

Or, you can delete the partition that Ubuntu lives on, and then install Lubuntu there. As for recommendations, I would suggest Fuduntu or Elementary OS.

DHAines56
July 13th, 2011, 03:32 AM
You could try using some of the other downloads available. For example, Ubuntu Netbook. Although it runs on Ubuntu 10 Maverick, it's worth a shot. Have you also maybe tried some of the other versions of Ubuntu like Kubuntu or Xubuntu.

homebre973
July 13th, 2011, 01:48 PM
You could try using some of the other downloads available. For example, Ubuntu Netbook. Although it runs on Ubuntu 10 Maverick, it's worth a shot. Have you also maybe tried some of the other versions of Ubuntu like Kubuntu or Xubuntu.

Tried lubuntu from the Ubuntu software center and workedd much better for me. Thx.