PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Large file transfers & how to set up a netbook desktop combo

Mr. Beekeeper
July 12th, 2011, 04:21 AM
I tried using ssh between my netbook and desktop, but it was going to take around 30 hours to transfer 39GB over the home network. Also SSH is very sketchy and often drops connections. I've been messing with it all day and I'm quite frustrated.

What I'm looking to do is use my netbook as more of a primary computer and the desktop as a storage computer. Not quite a server, because I'd like to still keep a GUI on it. I'd like to be able to keep my music and movies on the desktop and stream them to the netbook (SSH sucks for this, always drops connections). I've already set up the web client for Transmission bit torrent client so I can torrent on a machine that's almost always on and connected.

Is there a better setup for all of this? I like the netbook because of the portability; I like the desktop because it's always connected (for torrents) and it has a larger storage capacity. It would be mainly used around the house. I would like to back up a file or two while abroad, but I'm not looking to stream music while I'm across town or anything.

Sorry for the rambling questions. I'm tired and have been beating my head against this for too long.

Thanks in advance. The Ubuntu community rules.

jmoorse
July 12th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Transfer the file over a wired connection if possible (I am assuming this if wifi?) You are using scp right?

Do you live in an area with a dense population? Wireless channel contention caused these same problems for me until I moved to powerline (no wifi).

What 80.211 revision are you using? I have found G to be a little poor for video, but generally fine for music

Mr. Beekeeper
July 12th, 2011, 06:44 AM
It's a Netgear. It's probably a G. It's older.

I might just have to set up a wired connection for the bigger files.

Thanks.