PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to stop network manager from starting on boot ???

josephmills
July 10th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Hi there and thanks for taking the time to read this. YOU ROCK

I would like to stop network manager from starting up on boot. I have tried moving
/etc/init.d/network-manager stop

to rc.local and it did nothing but boot me into the CLI

I have also tried to put
sudo service network-manager stop and that did nothing also.

Second question

After I get network manager to stop on boot up. How do I make it so it will not auto connect to networks? My computer keeps on joining a different network on boot up. And I don't like this as some times I go to my banks website and I am on there network with out realizing it (because of the auto connect) Is there a way to stop this also?

thanks for you time and Ii look forward to hearing from you thanks again
Joseph

nm_geo
July 11th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Hey Joseph ..
All the wireless in my neighborhood are locked down tight.. LOL
Perhaps if you disable the auto connections in Network Manager that might solve the issue.
I experimented here with mine and now I have to click on the nm-applet icon to connect to my own network. If you have others listed delete them or make them no-auto as well.
Don't know if this helps..

Another link
http://askubuntu.com/questions/3677/disable-wireless-on-startup

josephmills
July 11th, 2011, 12:39 AM
thanks nm_geo! I am also looking into /etc/networl interfaces.conf right now going to run some test in vbox brb

josephmills
July 11th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Hey Joseph ..
All the wireless in my neighborhood are locked down tight.. LOL
[/url]

I wish that mine where like that I even tried to talk to a couple of them and they still wont listen to me ohh well when there pi get stolen I will be there for them. with nice told you so. I mad it so It wont auto connect to there networks

Now to make it stop you know like backtrack does.

no wireless from the get go

My girl-friend baby sits some of here friends kids and they use this computer for games and that is it.... I thought but I found a bunch of weird cookies and cache. so I dont want to have to remember a bunch of new pass words and I dont want to make an account for them. So I think that this is the way to go.

josephmills
July 11th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I hate to do this but 8umP

Iowan
July 12th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Have you tried disabling NM in System>Preferences>Startup Applications?
Also, there should be a checkbox for "Connect automatically" that can be unchecked.

jawilljr
July 12th, 2011, 04:38 AM
To stop Network Manager from running on boot... just type these from the terminal:

sudo mv /etc/init/network-manager.conf /etc/init/network-manager.conf-disabled
sudo mv /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop.disabled

To re-enable Network Manager on boot type these:

sudo mv /etc/init/network-manager.conf-disabled /etc/init/network-manager.conf
sudo mv /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop.disabled /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop

I got the instructions from Here (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/connection-manager-connman-managing-internet-connections-in-linux.html#more-11286)

I know you do not want to install connman but disabling Network Manager is the same.

Jerry