PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Huawei dongle so new Ubuntu doesn't recognise it

hamstermoon
July 9th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Hi,

I posted a similar post in the Newbie thread but having not had any response I thought you guys might know more.

I have a Huawei e353 mobile wireless USB from 3 and apparently it is so new there isn't even a driver for it. Any ideas what I should do so I can actually use it with my Ubuntu notebook or am I going to have to hang around until someone patches a fix?

alexfish
July 10th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Hi

try visiting the usb modeswitch forum

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

ModeSwitchForum (http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/bb/)

alexfish

hamstermoon
July 10th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Woah. That is well over my head as a newbie :( I think I shall just have to sit this one out until someone makes an easy way round with a patch!

Plumtreed
July 10th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Hang on, what steps have you taken so far?

I am just back from the UK and used 3 and 'a recent dongle' supplied by them which worked out-of-the-box. It worked so well I don't remember much about it and I gave it to a family member before I returned to Oz.

I am running 10.04.....I used the NetworkManager Applet, right click, Edit Connections, Mobile Broadband, Add..........follow the steps.

hamstermoon
July 11th, 2011, 08:59 PM
How long were you over here? I was told by the man in the shop that it was 'new in the last two weeks' and therefore probably not supported.

I did try the network manager thing and didn't get anywhere with it. Perhaps I should have another go and see if I can get it to go.

hamstermoon
July 11th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Nope, tried that and it still isn't even seeing it ...

Plumtreed
July 11th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Just back but there was no talk about the 'dongle' being new and there have been a lot of new developments in this area.

Is the APN set at..... 3internet or you could try ....3netaccess

other than that I dunno:confused:

hamstermoon
July 12th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Well strangely enough I got Jolinar (my back-up Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop) who runs Maverick and guess what? It works. \\:D/

Now to work out why Mint isn't doing what it should, and to try dual booting Xbuntu onto nubin the notebook and see if that works. [-o<

Plumtreed
July 12th, 2011, 01:29 PM
.....make sure you have 'usb-modeswitch' and 'modemmanager' installed.

hamstermoon
July 12th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I have just checked and I have them installed on Xbuntu and Mint.

Now I have plugged and unplugged a few times it does seem that nubin the notebook (an MSI Wind U230) maybe the problem. It's recognising usual USB sticks I put in there, just not the 3 Dongle.

hamstermoon
July 14th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Neither of them worked so I followed a hunch and dropped back to 10.10. Now the dongle DOES work. Has anyone any idea why Natty has killed it and Maverick lets it work perfectly?

nirvblakr
December 15th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Well strangely enough I got Jolinar (my back-up Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop) who runs Maverick and guess what? It works. \\:D/

Now to work out why Mint isn't doing what it should, and to try dual booting Xbuntu onto nubin the notebook and see if that works. [-o<

Hi! How were you able to make the E353 to work in Maverick? I was presently running Linux Mint 11 when I have read the issues with the E353. I read in your post that you were successful in running it Maverick. I have just installed Linux Mint 10 and have updated everything. Under the network icon when I click it, the name of my ISP is present but greyed out. I tried to make a new profile with the same provider and afterwards the profile appeared in my network connections but upon clicking it a window on the upper left corner appears "GSM disconnected". Any workaround/solution to this? TIA :)