PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in helping in a midi sequencing/audio recording software project?

irq-8
March 4th, 2005, 09:11 AM
I have been using Cubase SX and Buzztracker and many audio applications for Windows and I know that there are several professional audio applications available for linux, so my idea is, to make UBUNTU unique from other distributions.

Who would like to collaborate on a music production software package for Ubuntu?

I know that this would be a healthy thing for the linux world and would attract others to ubuntu.

:)

any ideas?

mr_ed
March 4th, 2005, 11:07 PM
I have been using Cubase SX and Buzztracker and many audio applications for Windows and I know that there are several professional audio applications available for linux, so my idea is, to make UBUNTU unique from other distributions.

Who would like to collaborate on a music production software package for Ubuntu?

I know that this would be a healthy thing for the linux world and would attract others to ubuntu.

:)

any ideas?

Idea #1: Base your code off of Rosegarden

andyman
March 14th, 2005, 05:35 PM
A midi/music app is one thing which is stopping me moving over to Linux. Reason/Ableton/Cubase etc all apps which dont seem to have any comparison on linux (and yes, they all cost money!).

bsalt
July 19th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I just found this site (I think it's better than Audacity thus far):

http://vt.shuis.tudelft.nl/~remon/traverso/download.html

Karlos
July 29th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Click this link

http://www.musix.org.ar/en/index.html

you may want to have a look at that

it's an argentinian music distro, contains all availiable music apps for linux to date and even runs VST softsynths

plenty of ideas there

it has traverso installed by default

I use it in my studio and i would say that version 5.0 is actually quite stable

i also use dynebolic, PCLinuxOS, and of course Ubuntu...

mezzmerized17
January 30th, 2007, 07:49 AM
I am in the same boat as you guys. Sonar 5 Producer Edition, Ableton Live 5 all on windows.

I am very interested in this idea myself. I don't have much programming knowledge and am a complete newbie to Linux, but I'd like to contribute where I am able.

Ah, that shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand and says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.

mezzmerized17
January 30th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I was thinking about drivers the other day. I have 2 Presonus Firepods and I'm running Athlon 64 3500+. I would go 64-bit with Sonar 5, except for the fact that I would have no audio interface drivers. What's the hardware compatability scene like in Linux for audio hardware?
I've seen a reference to a couple of Hammerfall units somewhere.

Just brainstorming.

mezzmerized17
January 30th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Answered my own question.

http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/List_of_Supported_Devices

Wybiral
January 30th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I'll help if I have a general idea of what I'm working on and some code to work off of.

I've got some experience with music theory so I could probably help add some neat stuff (scale makers/chord makers/scale finders/chord finders... Interval calculations... etc.)

Also, I would STRONGLY suggest that a good plugin system be made, probably with python so people like myself can contribute without having to muck around in the source. I can probably help with the interfacing part... Loading python scripts as plugins and executing them within c/c++ code... assuming that's what you plan to use? What language DO you have in mind? That would probably be a handy thing to know.

EDIT:

You know what I'd like to see in linux... Something like Guitar Pro or Tabit... Amazing program! I'm an avid guitar player and I love being able to write/compose guitar/drum/piano tracks on the computer. I would KILL SOMEONE for a good guitar tabbing program in linux. If anyone knows of any projects, please direct me to them.

ssam
January 30th, 2007, 05:41 PM
have you looked at jokosher (http://jokosher.org/)

Greykrrr
January 30th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Well, I think there are some very powerful tools available for linux in the audio editing catagory. Ardour, Pure Data, JACK and whatever else people can come up with.

Besides that there entire distros made for audio work like 64Studio or perhaps more relavent to this forum, Ubuntu studio...

I feel that what is missing even more than more apps which does something an existing application is already doing well, is the capabililty to run some good plugins. Since running VST plugins is a nightmare on linux and LADSPA plugins aren't really all that good (if íts the interface or the programming, I don't know... they just don't sound as good as some of pro plugins out there), it would be fantastic with some better quality plugins.

just a thought.

Wybiral
January 30th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Yes, I agree.

Also, if someone starts this I would certainly take care of the guitar portion. Writing a tablature editor, a scale/chord finder, A scale/chord assistant (highlight the scale/chord on the guitar)... Like I said, I am an avid guitarist so I should have a decent idea of what would be good to have.

This could easily be a plugin too. I think the plugin interface should be very expansive... Like GIMP's. It should give the plugin writers a lot a control.

BTW:
Someone mentioned jokosher, it looks like a great tool for recording, but not for writing tabs.
But thanks for mentioning it, I'll probably download it and plug my guitar in later tonight!

mezzmerized17
February 3rd, 2007, 12:25 AM
Also, I would STRONGLY suggest that a good plugin system be made,
EDIT:

You know what I'd like to see in linux... Something like Guitar Pro or Tabit... Amazing program! I'm an avid guitar player and I love being able to write/compose guitar/drum/piano tracks on the computer. I would KILL SOMEONE for a good guitar tabbing program in linux. If anyone knows of any projects, please direct me to them.

I beleive we have a way of using vst's. Still researching.

Check out Songwrit ( formerly known as Gtablature.

I saw another one also. I'll get back to you.

Wybiral
February 3rd, 2007, 01:00 AM
I just recently found kguitar which isn't BAD... But I still think they can do better. Something with better instrument emulation (like guitar pro 5)

But, it will certainly do for now. If you haven't, you should check it out.