PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using a webcam for a security camera.

Syndicalist
July 9th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Hello. I am trying to use a webcam as a serious camera for my office.

Just setting it to record is no big deal. There are a few additional options I need that I do not know how to do.....

1. Viewing the stream remotely from a different computer, either from within the same router network, or via the internet.

2. The ability to stop or set recording from a non-local connection, or at least from another computer on the network....these are not "networked" computers yet, though I want to use Samba or other tools to share folders....High security is not required. If low security makes it easier to control the cameras non-locally, then thats the way to go. Nothing sensitive is on that computer and it wont be used for anything else that is work related.

3. I would like for a duplicate for the stream to download over the internet to a computer at my home, so that even if the computer or the webcam is destroyed, and that hard drive lost, I have all the records downloaded and installed to my home computer.

4....I have also wondered if I could do the same as .3 with an Android phone, but thats a later discussion.

Is this possible? Can anyone help me with this using the simplest method possible?

wacky_sung
July 9th, 2011, 10:40 AM
There are always available webcam in the market with night vision , focus and watch online as well.Not sure if it is gonna work on linux.If you want it, be prepare it may take up lot of disk space if recording has been set.

haqking
July 9th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Hello. I am trying to use a webcam as a serious camera for my office.

Just setting it to record is no big deal. There are a few additional options I need that I do not know how to do.....

1. Viewing the stream remotely from a different computer, either from within the same router network, or via the internet.

2. The ability to stop or set recording from a non-local connection, or at least from another computer on the network....these are not "networked" computers yet, though I want to use Samba or other tools to share folders....High security is not required. If low security makes it easier to control the cameras non-locally, then thats the way to go. Nothing sensitive is on that computer and it wont be used for anything else that is work related.

3. I would like for a duplicate for the stream to download over the internet to a computer at my home, so that even if the computer or the webcam is destroyed, and that hard drive lost, I have all the records downloaded and installed to my home computer.

4....I have also wondered if I could do the same as .3 with an Android phone, but thats a later discussion.

Is this possible? Can anyone help me with this using the simplest method possible?

Try Zoneminder

http://www.zoneminder.com/

HermanAB
July 9th, 2011, 02:09 PM
...or 'motion'.

haqking
July 9th, 2011, 02:16 PM
...or 'motion'.

im pretty sure from what i remember motion wont allow him to do everything he wants to do unless it has been improved.

I know you can do remote monitoring and the like but wasnt sure if you could control it remotely ?

Syndicalist
July 9th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Awesome. Are there any tutorials for this? I have in the past run into some snags just using Samba for sharing Linux to Linux in different distros, when it theoretically should have worked. It was probably my own lack of knowledge, but it had worked previously when using the same distro.....I think one of them had unconventional folder/file system hierarchies. I remember you couldnt log into root using 'su root' only with 'sudo su root'. Relevant?

Anyway, lets assume they are all vanilla Ubuntu or maybe Mint.

Any tutorials for BASIC remote viewing of web cameras?

Maybe I could combine programs and just make it streaming, uploading it to a server live without it being saved to the database, but recording it live as streaming on the other computer?

Tutorials are needed. Im still getting my feet wet.

conradin
July 9th, 2011, 07:38 PM
webcamd and motion.
sends streams or shots to a server.
tons of ways to get the job done. I recommend either having motion detection or sending 3 sec bursts to an FTP server like CCTV do in supermarkets. Saving on the computer the cam is attached to is useless in the event someone steals that computer.

What sort of cam is it?

bichopro
July 9th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Use also have remote administator, SD card and HDD record. You can save the videos on ubuntu one folder and will be save on the cloud. Excuse my bad english

http://www.dlinkla.com/home/productos/producto.jsp?idp=1106

Syndicalist
July 10th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

This is a high end logitech pro camera. I forget the model number. It records in resolutions beyond what my fairly advanced hardware can manage.

cariboo
July 10th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I was given a webcam and server comination similar to this (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ICAMView-IP-Server-Internet-Network-Camera-Webcam-PTZ-/260799402214?pt=PCA_Video_Conferencing_Webcams&hash=item3cb8db10e6), except mine doesn't have wireless capabilities. The guy that gave it to me used it to successfully catch a burglar that broke into his house a couple of times. The device has it's own server built in, that can be accessed from any computer on the network

Paradoxfox93
July 19th, 2011, 07:13 PM
While you're at it a motion sensor and floodlight or whatever depending on how big an area your 'office' is. Wouldn't be too expensive an addition and can be used to obfuscate the presenece of the camera itself.

Cyked
July 20th, 2011, 10:55 PM
How are you doing on this? I've been running motion fairly smoothly at home with a Logitech C500 capturing both vid and pics (saves a pic every second WHEN there is motion detected).

wkulecz
July 20th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Look into Zoneminder, its a bit of work to setup but I've been using it for six months or so. Been very reliable. Its webcam support may not be the best, but if your camera installs as a v4l2 device it should work.

I've tried and returned half a dozen commercial stand-alone solutions -- none are versatile enough for our flexible schedules.

It Emails video clips of detected motion to my wife and my work Email address and my gmail account so I can check it anywhere.

Paradoxfox93
July 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
incidentally you should have it take pictures at intervals even when it doesn't detect motion. Motion detector isn't infallable and being able to pinpoint time of occurance for any disturbance a 5 or 10 minute intervalled capture isn't significantly overcautious for the extra 20-50mb/day depending on your camera.