PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problems connecting to WPA2 Wireless network.

Cadders
July 7th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can shed some light for me..... I've recently re-installed Ubuntu 11.04 and I can't seem to get my wireless connected......... I 'know' it can work with my laptop and hardware as I have previously had it up and running. I had to format the laptop and lend it to a family member who's laptop had died. The wireless is built into the laptop and it appears to be a PrismGT - Intersil3886 card.

I've done plenty of googling and the first thing I've tried is to load the linux nonfree package.. This enabled Network Manager to actually see the card. I can see the Access Point in Network Manager, just can't connect to it.. It continually asks for the WPA/WPA2 password (Which I'm entering correctly)

The output of dmesg continually contains wlan0: direct probe to <MAC ADDRESS> timed out

If anyone can enlighten me then I'd be very grateful - Oh, one more thing, If I install puppy linux from a live cd then it works 'out of the box' suggesting it is an Ubuntu issue

Kind Regards,

Cadders

chili555
July 7th, 2011, 04:14 PM
If I install puppy linux from a live cd then it works 'out of the box' suggesting it is an Ubuntu issueIndirectly, in my opinion. I think it is a yet undiscovered interaction between your driver, Network Manager and wpa_supplicant. I don't know which versions of all these that the Pup uses or even if it uses NM. I strongly suspect that if the Pup progresses to the same versions, or regresses, who knows, the same problem will crop up.

However, that doesn't help us here and now. I think the problem is aggravated by WPA and WPA2 mixed networks. Is your router such? Can you please reset it to WPA2 only and give us your report?

Cadders
July 7th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Hi Chili,

Appreciate your quick response... I've tried setting the router to WPA2 mode only but it's still the same output from dmesg wlan0: direct probe to <MAC ADDRESS> timed out.

It's bizarre because it was working flawlessly until I had to install XP on it for my sister. Perhaps I'll ask her for a new laptop - Heheh

Kind Regards,

Cadders

chili555
July 7th, 2011, 04:24 PM
You might check this thread, especially post #36 and following. I'm still a little puzzled by what he did. That device uses your same driver p54pci. I think I might wait a bit and see if he reports more about the solution.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1694350&page=4

Cadders
July 7th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Chili,

Selected the backports but update manager says everything is up to date.....

Kind Regards,

Cadders

chili555
July 7th, 2011, 04:49 PM
But did you:
and selected the box "Pre-released updates"DISCLAIMER: Some pre-release updates may be buggy, crash, troublesome, maddening, etc. Some may be fine. Proceed with caution and remove if necessary.

Cadders
July 7th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Yay, Chili - Thankyou!!!

In update manager I selected all four options in the Updates tab...

and behold, tis working..

Many many thanks Chili - Your help is greatly appreciated. Sending you a 'virtual beer'

Kind Regards,

Cadders

chili555
July 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
So we can all learn, in Synaptic > File > History, what does it say was updated?

Cadders
July 7th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Errm, nothing apart from the linux-firmware-nonfree earlier on this afternoon....

Thanks again Chili - Hope you enjoy the virtual beer..;-)

Kind Regards

Cadders

chili555
July 7th, 2011, 05:43 PM
What does this tell us about the four mystery packages that got updated?
sudo cat /var/log/apt/history.logWhat brand of beer do you suggest? I may have one in Beer Fridge in the garage.

Cadders
July 7th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Chili, I have to go to work, but I'll post the required info first thing tomorrow..... I suggest a refreshing bottle of bud should sort you out!! Treat yourself........ It's on me fella :D

Kind Regards,

Cadders