PDA

View Full Version : How awesome is Gnome Shell

el_koraco
July 7th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Not that anybody cares, but I have to revise my earlier statements, for the sake of universal justice. I kinda thought that Unity was better in design, but worse in implementation. I've come to see that is not true. The very design of GS is freaking spectacular. It takes like three minutes to get used to not dealing with the desktop, but with the Activities overview, and you're good to go.

Not that the rolling out of Unity is a bad thing. It certainly helped with the design of GS. Like MS said, competition within Gnome. Lol.

Anyhoo, the second AMD makes proprietary drivers that work with GS, I'm killing Maverick. Not that the OSS drivers aren't much better for my needs, they just don't do temperature control well, and with 40 degrees Celsius outside, I can't stand 70 degrees Celsius processor temp.

benc1213
July 7th, 2011, 11:14 AM
*Cough* Recurring Discusions *Cough*

el_koraco
July 7th, 2011, 11:19 AM
you, sir, are no gentleman!

Santaji
July 7th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Gnome 3 Shell is very awesome. It's the best designed desktop environment for Linux right now. It's also as good as, Or maybe even better then Mac OS X.
It does not take much time to get used to, And it just does not get in your way. It's easy and quick to use.

*By better then OS X i mean the overall UI design concept of Gnome shell is better then Apple's dock + global menu. But still OS X is currently the best desktop operating system imo.

koleoptero
July 7th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I believe gnome-shell is great too, and it's too new, imagine when it matures. But is it better than what the elementary project has in mind for the desktop though?

el_koraco
July 7th, 2011, 12:24 PM
But is it better than what the elementary project has in mind for the desktop though?

That's a kinda yes and no situation. The Pantheon shell is a sweet refinement of the "traditional" dekstop model, with features added from mobile operating systems, like the slingshot launcher. But, it still follows the traditional metaphor, where you handle your desktop on the desktop, with the dock and stuff. The same is true for Unity.

GS is just different. The definitive change, one that many people despise, is that the classic desktop is no longer there. It's basically just a place for a wallpaper, and the rest of the stuff goes on in the Activities overview, or in the applications themselves. Contrary to my expectatios, I've found it to be faster to navigate, and it even suits a lazy approach more - "throwing" the mouse into the upper right corner and selecting a big representation of a screen requires less precision and is faster than navigating your mouse to a panel or dock.

It really depends on which kind of navigation style you prefer, and for the moment, I'm digging GS more. Plus, another cool thing about GS is the CSS/Javascript extension and theming model, which has already enabled users to roll out a set of extensions that change the behavior of GS much more than it's possible with Pantheon or Unity.

koleoptero
July 7th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Well I already use a similar style of application switching with compiz and scale. It is indeed better than trying to hit that icon/button lol.

el_koraco
July 7th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Me too, but in Gnome Shell, that's the default, and it's implemented better. Like, if you minimize an application, scale doesn't show it and stuff like that.

Nytram
July 7th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I tried GS for a week and liked many of its features, it also looks great. But I found switching between windows a pain (pane?) and it made me less productive.

el_koraco
July 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I tried GS for a week and liked many of its features, it also looks great. But I found switching between windows a pain (pane?) and it made me less productive.

Mods, please ban this infidel!

Santaji
July 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM

Switching between windows in Gnome Shell is similar to Mac OS X's Expose. I find it quick and easy to use. Using the old Gnome 2 with the default window-list panel at the bottom feels "clunky" to me now after using Gnome 3.

TheNessus
July 7th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Switching between windows in Gnome Shell is similar to Mac OS X's Expose. I find it quick and easy to use. Using the old Gnome 2 with the default window-list panel at the bottom feels "clunky" to me now after using Gnome 3.

I simply use KDE and it's "present windows" Kwin plugin. Same effect, better implemented than both GS or Compiz's "scale". I also reach it with a costume command, alt+E, easier than moving the mouse to this or that corner...

and better yet - no GS or Unity dillema :)

danbuter
July 7th, 2011, 03:37 PM
*Cough* Recurring Discusions *Cough*

Anyone who does this should get banned from posting for a week.

Roasted
July 7th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Gnome 3 Shell is very awesome. It's the best designed desktop environment for Linux right now. It's also as good as, Or maybe even better then Mac OS X.
It does not take much time to get used to, And it just does not get in your way. It's easy and quick to use.

*By better then OS X i mean the overall UI design concept of Gnome shell is better then Apple's dock + global menu. But still OS X is currently the best desktop operating system imo.

I personally hated Gnome Shell when I began testing it last year. It drove me crazy. However, it's made a ton of refinements, and today, right now, I have to agree with you on every single point you made.

It's very attractive. Very easy to use. It's very lean on hardware resources and it kicks the pants off any GUI OSX and Windows want to bring to the table.

and better yet - no GS or Unity dillema :)

What dilemma?? Seems to work great here.

tjeremiah
July 7th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Last time when I used Gnome Shell (about 3 months ago), there was no Appmenu (Global menu) like in UNITY. Does the new Gnome shell have this feature because ive grown to love it in UNITY and overall, from what Ive seen, I really love UNITY. I have been using it since launch and still dont understand most of the complaining towards it.

el_koraco
July 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I personally hated Gnome Shell when I began testing it last year. It drove me crazy.

I loved it with the repo version in Maverick. Hated it when the alphas and Betas came out. Tried it on a friend's machine a week ago, installed Fedora, and fell in love. Imagine, with the Advaita theme and GS, even a Debian install would look fresh and modern out of the box.

BigSilly
July 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Really pleased to see so many feel the same as me. Gnome 3 really is awesome, and I don't use that word lightly as it's very overused! I had never tried the betas or pre-releases, and my first experience of it was these videos here (http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/)and also on Youtube, where there were some terrific reviews. Then I got my hands on the original Fedora-based Gnome 3 Live CD, which totally sealed the deal. I installed openSUSE 11.4 and enabled their Gnome 3 repo, and haven't looked back. It just works so smoothly on my hardware. I did try Unity, and really bloody enjoyed it actually, but Gnome 3 is better imho. It just makes sense in everyday use, and tellingly I haven't had any technical problems at all with it. Nothing. :)

wolfen69
July 7th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Really pleased to see so many feel the same as me. Gnome 3 really is awesome, and I don't use that word lightly as it's very overused! I had never tried the betas or pre-releases, and my first experience of it was these videos here (http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/)and also on Youtube, where there were some terrific reviews. Then I got my hands on the original Fedora-based Gnome 3 Live CD, which totally sealed the deal. I installed openSUSE 11.4 and enabled their Gnome 3 repo, and haven't looked back. It just works so smoothly on my hardware. I did try Unity, and really bloody enjoyed it actually, but Gnome 3 is better imho. It just makes sense in everyday use, and tellingly I haven't had any technical problems at all with it. Nothing. :)

Same here, except I went with Fedora.

Dustin2128
July 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Arch user here. After discovering my pentium D was fully 64-bit capable, I ran a reinstall. When it came time to install a GUI (having before picked xfce) I decided to give gnome shell a shot. I used it for about a month, now here's my opinion. The general design was pretty good, effects were clean and elegant, and it was great on a single monitor. Now let me tell you the reasons why I post this from my KDE plasma desktop. First off- multi-monitor support sucked. It treated my secondary monitor as if it was exempt from the workspaces rule- when I swapped workspaces, anything that was up in the second monitor stayed up, only changing on the primary monitor. Second, gnome shell had memory leak issues, growing to up to 20% of my 2GB RAM on occasion, usually taking less than a few hours before I had to restart it. Kwin, by contrast, is still at 4% memory usage after about a day. Third off, customization was negligible. I understand that this is gnome, and a new release at that, but come on. KDE 4 was buggier but much more tweakable at release. The most customization I ever did was adding back the minimize button. Maybe in a few releases, it'll be better, but then so will kde.

That said, I do look forward to installing it on lower spec'd single monitor machines- if I could fix the leakage issue, it's wonderfully light.,

Famicube64
July 7th, 2011, 06:36 PM
It's pretty crap. A lot of the things I usually do with the mouse have been moved to keyboard functions and vice-versa. For example, in GNOME 2 I would switch windows by clicking on the place holder in the taskbar, and it worked. To do that with the mouse in GNOME Shell, I have to move my cursor to the upper left corner and then find the window I want and click it. Or I can use Alt-Tab on the keyboard which is unnatural to me. And in GNOME 2 I would switch workspaces with Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right/Up/Down but in GNOME Shell I have to move the mouse (again) to the upper left, drag a window to the right and create a new workspace before I can switch to it.

GNOME 3 fixes things that worked great before and it can screw off.

P.S. KDE has all of the GNOME 2 functionality without the suck of GNOME Shell and I recommend it to GNOME 3 haters.

tjeremiah
July 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM
alright, I just tried the latest with Fedora on a LIVE USB and I really dont notice much of a difference from Unity to Gnome Shell. Both have a dock on the left. In the Shell, it appears that you have to hover over the fedora button to gain access to it. But as in Unity, the dock is visible from the jump and if you want to hide it and want to make it appear when you hover to the left of the screen, like in Gnome Shell, you can (which I dont like).

The dash in Shell looks and feels almost like the dash in UNITY. All and all they do feel and a little bit alike.

The workspace appears to apply differently in GShell but I dont see that as a plus on UNITY. In UNITY, you have all 4 right then and there and can assign which app. appears where.

So, like 3 months ago, I still dont see what all the hype is about and why people continue to dog UNITY.

Famicube64
July 7th, 2011, 07:00 PM
. . . So, like 3 months ago, I still dont see what all the hype is about and why people continue to dog UNITY.

Because Unity sucks as much as GNOME Shell?

el_koraco
July 7th, 2011, 08:00 PM
haters gonna hate...

aeronutt
July 7th, 2011, 08:04 PM
GS is now my default desktop. More good than bad. My biggest gripes are that even with new h/w (Intel i3), sometimes the response is slow. (eg, 2 sec for power down pull down menu to appear). So, seems to be a bit of a graphics resource hog. (I had a similar problem in Unity when typing in the search box...sometimes seconds between key strokes.)

Famicube64
July 7th, 2011, 08:19 PM
haters gonna hate...
Ubuntu's gonna suck?

johnnybgoode83
July 7th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Because Unity sucks as much as GNOME Shell?

It doesn't suck as you say. I love the idea of Unity however it is just a little immature at the moment but I do believe that given a couple more releases it will be a solid desktop shell.

Famicube64
July 7th, 2011, 08:38 PM
It doesn't suck as you say. I love the idea of Unity however it is just a little immature at the moment but I do believe that given a couple more releases it will be a solid desktop shell.
Well, good for you. For the way I use my computer Unity is a pile. It was my opinion.

KiwiNZ
July 7th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Brussels sprouts or Cabbage
Lemons or Limes

transported to Recurring

not found
July 7th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Lemons or Limes

transported to Recurring

Took long enough...

KiwiNZ
July 7th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Took long enough...

I am old and tired and type one handed, sheesh give me a break:P

NightwishFan
July 7th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Ubuntu's gonna suck?

Go back to the shadow!
http://drawninandquartered.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/you_shall_not_pass_lotr.jpg

On topic: I think the Gnome Shell does need a little work but it is going in the right direction. Even in the current form I do enjoy using it though.

wojox
July 7th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Same here, except I went with Fedora.

Same here. Fedora Gnome Shell, Ubuntu Unity. I can't be without more than one Linux distro. :P

Lemons or Limes

transported to Recurring

Kiwi's or Penguin's (flightless bird satire). :P

not found
July 7th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I am old and tired and type one handed, sheesh give me a break:P

I sense a disturbance in the Schwartz ....

Famicube64
July 7th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Go back to the shadow!
http://drawninandquartered.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/you_shall_not_pass_lotr.jpg

On topic: I think the Gnome Shell does need a little work but it is going in the right direction. Even in the current form I do enjoy using it though.
I can respect this post. :)

el_koraco
July 7th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Lemons or Limes

Dude, the thread was supposed to be a place to praise the awesomeness of GS, and not a x vs y kinda thing. I get the feeling you're also an antishellite, and will place a curse upon you, along with this Farmicator dude.

8_Bit
July 8th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I absolutely love Gnome Shell and it runs beautifully on my computer. Am currently using it in Ubuntu Gnome Remix, and hope to use it in Ubuntu 11.10. My biggest worry however is that it will not have the same integration with apps like Unity will. I want Thunderbird to be as fully integrated in GS as it will be with Unity, for example. I want a "New message" icon to appear on the bottom right, etc.

Since I'm a designer I'm also very excited to start theming this baby. But the documentation is sparse on this, unfortunately. I googled quite a bit and couldn't find any good docs for how to get started. :/

Roasted
July 8th, 2011, 04:34 AM
I absolutely love Gnome Shell and it runs beautifully on my computer. Am currently using it in Ubuntu Gnome Remix, and hope to use it in Ubuntu 11.10. My biggest worry however is that it will not have the same integration with apps like Unity will. I want Thunderbird to be as fully integrated in GS as it will be with Unity, for example. I want a "New message" icon to appear on the bottom right, etc.

Since I'm a designer I'm also very excited to start theming this baby. But the documentation is sparse on this, unfortunately. I googled quite a bit and couldn't find any good docs for how to get started. :/

From what I've noticed, and this is based on a totally inaccurate scale but simply about "how many people are talking about what", I really think Gnome Shell has more movement with it than Unity does. Sure, some things will get catered to Unity since it's defaulted on Ubuntu, but I think we Gnome Shell fans have a bright future ahead. In fact, I'd even argue... a brighter future. :P

el_koraco
July 8th, 2011, 09:07 AM

/usr/share/gnome-shell/ui

and there's a multitude of js and css files, that you can edit. You don't even have to be a designer, that's the thing, it's straightforward enough.

el_koraco
July 8th, 2011, 09:10 AM
From what I've noticed, and this is based on a totally inaccurate scale but simply about "how many people are talking about what", I really think Gnome Shell has more movement with it than Unity does.

That's partly due to Canonical shipping Oneiric based on gtk3 and integrating Gnome Shell into the mix, so Unity development has kinda stalled. Once the kinks are ironed out, I expect more will be done on Unity itself.

Although, with its theming and extension engine, GS is more inviting to developers and designers to implement their own crazy ideas, and less limited than Unity is (I don't really see what third party devs can do with Unity other than make indicator applets, integrate stuff with the Launcher and make lenses).

But I do agree that the future looks brighter for GS, partly due to the momentum it has for being so fresh and unique.