PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu worked but...now my Mac doesnt.

Saudude
July 7th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Hello there,

I recently installed the newest version of Ubuntu on my PC and was amazed by it. Truly breathtaking. I then decided to try it out on my iMac with the Live CD. I thought it was a bit suspicious that after I restarted my Mac with the CD inside, it wouldn't boot it up. So me being the nublet I am, go into startup disk preferences and set the CD and restart. Ubuntu started up perfectly as expected, except for when I take the CD out. I literally can't boot into my Mac partition anymore. I tried pressing option when booting but alas, it gives me a lock and password entry (which not even my admin password works).

Please advise :(

snafu006
July 7th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

In some cases, an Open Firmware-based computer may not respond to the keyboard commands noted above, and may not allow starting up into Open Firmware by pressing and holding the Command, Option, O, and F keys during startup. If you are unable to get to an Open Firmware prompt (and your computer supports doing so), try powering on the computer with the power button held down continuously—as if you were doing a firmware update. This should force the computer into Open Firmware, allowing the steps in the article noted above to be used.

Saudude
July 7th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

In some cases, an Open Firmware-based computer may not respond to the keyboard commands noted above, and may not allow starting up into Open Firmware by pressing and holding the Command, Option, O, and F keys during startup. If you are unable to get to an Open Firmware prompt (and your computer supports doing so), try powering on the computer with the power button held down continuously—as if you were doing a firmware update. This should force the computer into Open Firmware, allowing the steps in the article noted above to be used.

Thank you for your reply. I tried the methods mentioned above, however, no positive outcome whatsoever :(

Edit: Any way to perhaps change the boot priority on the Ubuntu Live CD?

B_Free
July 9th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Do you have a Mac OS X disc? If you do, start up your computer, eject the disc, replace that disc with the Mac OS disc and restart. Open disc utility and choose your hard drive as the start up disc. You are set.