PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Best Web Browser

aykoola
July 6th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Hi!

I'm otherwise using Firefox, bt would like to know which is the best web browser out there. Can Opera, for instance, even compete with FF and Chrome? Which are the fastest, which most reliable (no crashes etc.) and which use up least RAM?

Thank you and have a pleasant day!

ingothomas
July 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I use Opera (http://www.opera.com/) as my main browser. It starts up in the blink of an eye, has a tiny memory footprint and has next to Chrome the fastest JS engine.
Excellent ACID test rating, only topped by Safari.
There are a few issues with exceptional interfaces, such as CK-Editor on few functions. But if (and only if) something doesn't work, I switch back to Firefox.
On the other hand, Firefox has loads of extensions for web development and other tools. But that's for maintenance, you wouldn't take a semi-truck on a road-trip.
I looked a long time for anything better, smaller, or faster. The only competitor to Opera is Chrome.
But Opera has useful extensions too, strong synchronization, e-mail client, web server, and file server.
And it's surprisingly current in the Ubuntu repositories.

An Sanct
July 6th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I'd vote for Firefox ;) but its a personal choice to make.

hsoulen
July 7th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I'd vote for Firefox ;) but its a personal choice to make.

Personal choice, Chrome. Stable, and I like to type searches directly in the URL bar... I use google for most of my searches and I realize most browsers offer the search bar at the top but nothing like typing in the URL bar for searching.

The other thing I like about Chrome is that all tabs run in their own executable space, if a page dies on me it only kills the one tab not the whole browser.

Try em all and see what you like best, you can always remove them later!

Hank

kanishkdudeja
July 7th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Chromium web browser. Its works so smoothly.

For more info:

http://www.chromium.org/Home

Alwimo
July 7th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I use Firefox 5. Before Firefox 4, I would use Chromium on Linux because Firefox 3 was unbearably slow.

But I have a soft spot for Opera. I would recommend it to lots of people and still do for Windows, but it just doesn't fit in with my system's theme in Ubuntu.

All the main internet browsers are good now, so all else being close enough to equal, I go with what looks better.