PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remote Desktop

Mr.Dee
July 6th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I have an Ubuntu netbook and an Ubuntu desktop. I occassionaly need to do CPU intensive work on a file. I would like to be able to send files from my netbook to my desktop and then provide instructions remotely to my deskop.

I did a good chunk of googlin and have tried a few things, but got stuck at some point... I tried dyndns, openvpn, openssh and port forwarding my router... I really am close to figuring this out and would appreciate any good tutorials/references to documentation on this. I am going to give this another go, wish me luck. Thanks in advance for your help.

perspectoff
July 6th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I like to use WebDAV.

It mounts as a folder in Dolphin or Nautilus and can be accessed like a system folder from either system.

cf.

http://www.kubuntuguide.info/index.php/Natty#WebDAV

or

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Natty#WebDAV

As to remote access, you need VNC tunneled through SSH, or FreeNX.

Possibly the new iterations of VNC have encryption built-in, but I'm not sure. (I feel my bones creaking.)

CVGH
July 6th, 2011, 06:30 PM
VNC/VINO has no encryption.
Tunnel thru SSH is the only way.
If 5900 is open to the world, look out.....

smurphy_it
July 6th, 2011, 06:34 PM
OpenVPN (Natted I think they call it) - so it's connection to one machine, and not the entire network.
Then openssh to login and do whatever work needs doing.

perspectoff
July 6th, 2011, 06:46 PM
VNC/VINO has no encryption.
Tunnel thru SSH is the only way.
If 5900 is open to the world, look out.....

Now I remember. I thought I read that TightVNC now encrypts its VNC connections so that an SSH tunnel is not required when using it.

I think both a recent TightVNC server and client are required for that (just like FreeNX).

Server:
sudo apt-get install tightvncserver

Client:
sudo apt-get install xtightvncviewer

I can't remember as of which version the encryption is included. (To be safe, I still use SSH tunneling, anyway.)

Nope, after researching it, they plan to do it but it doesn't look like TightVNC encrypts traffic, yet. Better stick with SSH tunneling or FreeNX.