PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP: Problem Booting Ubuntu 11.04

Jacub
July 6th, 2011, 06:57 AM
So I decided yesterday to completely ditch Windows and install Ubuntu 11.04 on my system when I faced a recurring problem even after 3 attempts of a fresh re-install of the OS.

Before I go any further, please keep in mind that I am a Linux noob with no command line or proper Ubuntu GUI experience. I have only attempted live boots before which have been successful.

My problem:
I burned an ISO image of Ubuntu 11.04 (32-bit) on a CD, while making sure to run it at the slowest possible speed, and then ran a live boot of the OS. All seemed well so I followed the installation instructions and chose the option of replacing WinXP with Ubuntu. Once the installation was done, I was asked to remove the CD from the tray and press "Enter" to proceed with system restart only to have my PC stop the boot sequence with a black screen and a non-responsive blinking cursor. This happens right after the motherboard splash screen/BIOS check. I attempt a hard reset with the same result.

So I did the following:

checked the BIOS' boot sequence and everything was in perfect order.
did another live boot off the CD and ran the "system check", it showed no errors with my internal HDDs, audio output or graphic resolutions tests.
therefore went for a fresh Ubuntu re-install only to face the same problem with the black screen and blinking cursor after booting.

I have gone through a few posts with almost the same problem as mine where the recommended solution was to load safe mode, by pressing "e" or holding down "shift" during boot, but it didn't work with me and I'd still be stuck on the black screen.

System specs:
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe/Wireless Edition
AMD Athlon 64
nVidia GeForce 8400
2 GB RAM
Internal HDDs 40GB (used this for WinXP and Ubuntu), 120GB, 500GB

I would greatly appreciate any advice to help me fix this problem. Thank you for your time.

EDIT: Ok so I fixed my problem (YAY!). I assumed the option of a faulty install/CD and decided to boot off a USB stick. So I created the pen drive and commenced with another fresh installation of Ubuntu 11.04. I rebooted when prompted after completing installation and got into the BIOS to reset my PC's boot sequence; I disabled the option of booting from the CD-ROM dirve as a first option, disabled booting off the USB and set it to boot off my HDD.

Exited and saved changes to BIOS and crossed my fingers (and toes)......IT'S ALIVE!!!

So whatever I did got it working with only a minor issue with a corrupted ubuntu splash screen which I got fixed by installing OS updates and the latest nVidia driver.

androssofer
July 6th, 2011, 09:57 AM
try installing 10.10 and running it, its more stable than 11.04, aside from tht i dont know...

wildmanne39
July 6th, 2011, 10:02 AM
So I decided yesterday to completely ditch Windows and install Ubuntu 11.04 on my system when I faced a recurring problem even after 3 attempts of a fresh re-install of the OS.

Before I go any further, please keep in mind that I am a Linux noob with no command line or proper Ubuntu GUI experience. I have only attempted live boots before which have been successful.

My problem:
I burned an ISO image of Ubuntu 11.04 (32-bit) on a CD, while making sure to run it at the slowest possible speed, and then ran a live boot of the OS. All seemed well so I followed the installation instructions and chose the option of replacing WinXP with Ubuntu. Once the installation was done, I was asked to remove the CD from the tray and press "Enter" to proceed with system restart only to have my PC stop the boot sequence with a black screen and a non-responsive blinking cursor. This happens right after the motherboard splash screen/BIOS check. I attempt a hard reset with the same result.

So I did the following:

checked the BIOS' boot sequence and everything was in perfect order.
did another live boot off the CD and ran the "system check", it showed no errors with my internal HDDs, audio output or graphic resolutions tests.
therefore went for a fresh Ubuntu re-install only to face the same problem with the black screen and blinking cursor after booting.

I have gone through a few posts with almost the same problem as mine where the recommended solution was to load safe mode, by pressing "e" or holding down "shift" during boot, but it didn't work with me and I'd still be stuck on the black screen.

System specs:
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe/Wireless Edition
AMD Athlon 64
nVidia GeForce 8400
2 GB RAM
Internal HDDs 40GB (used this for WinXP and Ubuntu), 120GB, 500GB

I would greatly appreciate any advice to help me fix this problem. Thank you for your time.
Here is a link that should get you into ubuntu, then you can install your nvidia driver in additional drivers and you should be ok.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
these are very good instructions if you follow then you should be ok, if you need more help post back here.

Jacub
July 6th, 2011, 10:07 AM
try installing 10.10 and running it, its more stable than 11.04, aside from tht i dont know...

Oh I forgot to mention that. I did also try overwriting the 11.04 with 10.10 but got an error (after trying twice); something about possibly having a faulty HDD or CD...etc

kamakazi20012
July 6th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Try following wildmanne39's advice about getting and installing nVidia drivers. I am having a similar experience with an eMachine desktop with a GeForce 4 on-board. Like yourself, I am new to Linux and Ubuntu and do not know the commands for a command line.

Jacub
July 6th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Here is a link that will should get you into ubuntu, then you can install your nvidia driver in additional drivers and you should be ok.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
these are very good instructions if you follow then you should be ok, if you need more help post back here.

Thank you. I will definitely try the stuff mentioned under that thread.

BlauFusion
March 16th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Thank you. I will definitely try the stuff mentioned under that thread.
In case anyone else finds this thread, I managed to install ubuntu 11.10 on an old emachines computer by using the link recommended here, and using the option "acpi=off".